Help a newbie :)

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Genuino

Help a newbie :)

Post by Genuino »

Hey guys,

While I wait for my DIY chinese laser (tomorrow I think), have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. First, I'm getting a 5.5W laser for paper crafts, foam, thin plywood and leather and maybe 1/8" color plexiglass, but can't find any chart as to power settings for materials without leaving burning marks" as I've seen for 30, 40 50 and 100 Watts lasers, perhaps I bought the wrong machine but for my needs I think is just fine, anyone?, and two, about leather, how thick of leather can I cut with 5.5, even if it is in two or three passes? Planning on making engraved wallets and purses. Appreciate the help, easy with the newbie :).
Genuino

Re: Help a newbie :)

Post by Genuino »

Thank you Williamzem! Very informative. I'm assuming here, in essence I can go by the number for testing, if 60% of 40w is required, does that mean that only 24w is needed, is that a logical calculation? Or 60% of 40w is not the same as a 24w source. Sorry if this sounds dumb, don't know anything about lasers, new to this. Just bought a DIY to start learning, then will be thinking on investing in a nice laser if I get enough business for it.
Thank you again :D .