HELP: Laser losses power gradually then stops working

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

117danny

HELP: Laser losses power gradually then stops working

Post by 117danny »

Hi, I am a senior mechanical engineering student, making an internship at GE, and I have no previous experience with laser machines. An Electrox Raptor laser engraver is used to engrave the plastic case of breakers (electrical). What I have noticed is that the laser losses power gradually and then powers off, this happens some 20 times per shift. I have worked with the maintenance guys of the plant and we checked that the machine was not overheating (the casing was removed and compressed air used to clean the heat sinks), we also checked the battery backup by testing a new one and later plugging the laser directly to the outlet (without the battery). Although the laser is working in a building with AC, at first we thought the laser might be over heating since the operating time of the machine seemed related to the time it is given to rest after failing, and that is why it was cleaned. For some reason the machine performs better in the night shift and during shift changes. We have already contacted the manufacturer but have not heard back from them so I'm looking for help from other sources. Attached is an image showing the degradation of the engraving on the breaker. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (206.92 KiB) Viewed 3383 times