Engraving with laser foil?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

jaekriel

Engraving with laser foil?

Post by jaekriel »

Hi there.

I don't yet have a laser engraving machine but have been wanting to get one for several reasons.

The main reason I want to get one is I am a writer who has been studying/learning bookbinding and I've been making my own leather hardcover books

Most hard cover books have foil stamped into the spine and cover - lettering mostly, but also graphics. This traditional process is tedious and expensive.

I've seen a couple videos on YouTube where someone is taking laser foil and essentially 'burning' an image of foil into wood and photo albums using a laser engraving machine

Of course they are using machines that range from $5000 to $10,000 in the vids (or so I think)

I would very much love to get a Full Spectrum Hobby/Muse Laser Engraver, but don't have the $5000 + yet to afford one, unfortunately

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this procedure, and if it's possible to do this with the so-called Chinese Laser Engravers that are sold on eBay and Amazon for $250-$500 ( I assume people here in this forum are familiar with the ones I am referring to)

Plus - considering I am very experienced with computers and various applications, but have no experience with using laser Engravers (yet) - what the learning curve/difficulty would be for me

Any advice, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance (Sorry for the long post....)

Jake

Ps - I'll post a couple YouTube vids in case someone wants to see what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhQC2Ull1Y&t=194s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yisF4CK4R2Q&t=28s

I emailed both people who posted the above videos, asking the same questions I posted above but did not receive a reply. ......
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: Engraving with laser foil?

Post by LINUS »

HI Jake,
No problem.
I know Chinese laser machine that meets your needs but Expensive machine precision and operation effectiveness and after-sales service and quality tasks differently from those who are Cheap.
Because of major,be at ease so.
jaekriel

Post by jaekriel »

Ok, so despite the fact that a more expensive machine would be better all-around,

you're still saying that with the ''Chinese Machine'' - at very least -

I should be able to accomplish my goal of "burning in" the laser foil

that will be essentially the same as "hot foil stamping" -

and/or the result will look like the YouTube example vids I posted?

Is that what you are saying?
LINUS
Webmaster

Post by LINUS »

Sorry reply so late.I know that what you mean.China laser machine can do it .But I can't give you anything more than just sort of a precision.
Because of major,be at ease so.
harry56

Post by harry56 »

What material did you engrave?The oxidation of metal is very easy after engrave.So you can waxing shell after engrave will rejuvenate the appearance of the shell.

คาสิโนออนไลน์