Help with Leetro MPC-6585 configuration

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

iantull

Help with Leetro MPC-6585 configuration

Post by iantull »

I have posted this same request for help on another forum and have not had any response so I am hoping I may be able to get some help or at least point me in the right direction from here.

I am a real novice so please be kind !!!

I have not used this machine for many years as it has been stored after moving premises and on getting it out I find I had lost the SoftDog.
Prior to any of the following I checked the laser to see if it was still working by using a job that was still sitting in the controller memory and it worked great.

What I have is one of the cheap Chinese 40W C02 lasers, X, Y and Z Axis that had a Leetro MPC6515 originally installed, I think purchased back about 2007. After digging it out and checking it and discovering the SoftDog missing, I decided, rather than replace the SoftDog I would purchase the MPC-6585 to replace the old controller. I thought this would be the easier process, seeing as a SofDog was not needed for that controller but it would seem I was wrong.

Now I have been able to remove the old controller and replace it with the MPC-6585 and identifying the connections was relatively easy, but I now come to the Config file using LaserCut 6.1. Unfortunately I also don't have the old PC with the old 6515 config as I may have been able to get some of the information from that, so essentially I am starting from scratch.
I will outline my machine details and problem below.

Machine is 40W C02, 600 x 400, 3 axis. DMD402A Drivers, now has MPC-6585 Controller that boots up on the PAD04A screen as V5.0.7

This is what I did to replace the old controller.
Taking note of all the connection labels I removed the connections from the 6515 and placed them onto the same connection labels on the 6585.

Now when powered on,
1. I can only get each axis to move in one direction, originally the direction was incorrect but found that changing the "FeedDir" in the AdvancedCFG changes that, but I still only get it work work one way and I cannot get it to recognize the home "switches"

2. I am also unable work out the Pulse Unit Calculation and hope someone can also help with that.

X Axis, one revolution of the stepper sees the X axis travel 58.2MM
Y Axis, one revolution of the stepper sees the Y axis travel 58.2mm
Z Axis, one revolution of the stepper sees the Z axis travel 0.75mm

I'm not sure if this is correct but removing the belts from the stepper motors and turning then by hand I can feel each step and counting the steps for the X and Y Axis I get 200, but for the Z Axis I get 100.

I have not touched the DMD402A driver switches but left them as they are, the 3 drivers are all set as 1.75A and the rest of details according to the switch settings on the DMD402A's are.
X and Y Axis 12800 Pulse/Rev
Z Axis 1600 Pulse/Rev

When the machine was running with the old controller, it worked well, I was able to produce and upload the jobs to the controller. Had I have purchased a new SoftDog and rebuilt an older windows machine it would probably have continued to work OK, but I wanted be able to use a later version of Windows and already had a Windows 10 Laptop to use so another reason to purchase the 6585.

I have not even bothered about the laser operation at this time and don't even want to look at that until I get the Axis movement correct.

Hoping someone can help.

Regards
Ian