Rotary and Stepper Driver

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

powl4evr

Rotary and Stepper Driver

Post by powl4evr »

Good Morning,
I have an ongoing issue getting my rotary to work.
First, everything works fine when i am engraving flat items.
I have a chinese 100w laser engraver and the rotary has never worked. The two rotary attachments were purchased from the same company that the laser engraver was purchased from with their recommendation and assurance that they would work with my machine.
The first time (december 2016) i tried the irregular rotary, within 1 month of buying the machine, the x axis worked and the y axis worked for about 5 seconds then fried the stepper driver. While waiting for a new stepper driver to be sent (6 weeks) i purchased 2 more stepper drivers (january 2017) and the regular rotary attachment, to have them on hand. I connected one of the new stepper drivers and everything worked fine for Flat work only. Due to jobs needing to be completed i did not try the rotary again until April. This time, I tried the regular rotary and tried without connecting the rotary attachment ONLY the rotary cable, the x axis still works but no movement on the Y axis at all. Within a few seconds the red light on the Y axis stepper driver comes on and i turn the machine off so as to not fry the driver. Reconnect the cable for flat work and all is good. I have been going back and forth in emails with the company for a month and a half now. The trouble shooting i have done is - checked to see if cables were wired and connected correctly, checked continuity for all cables, replaced the green connector, and tried another stepper driver.
Have any of you had a similar problem?
Please, if anyone has any suggestions please help me out.
Thank you for any assistance with my problem.
Shawn