Please help diagnose my Laser/power issue

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Jrobinson15

Please help diagnose my Laser/power issue

Post by Jrobinson15 »

Hi all,

I'm looking for help and/or support with an issue that I have just encountered.

Problem:

Last week whilst cutting some poplar wood, I heard a high pitched squealing from near the laser tube, I'm guessing that this could have been an arcing issue. I immediately stopped the machine to inspect it. Seeing no obvious sign of a fault, I powered the machine up again and tried a pulse test. All seemed fine and I managed to cut something.

I then left the machine and forgot about it. A day or two later, I tried to cut something again and nothing! The machine powers up, the XY axis moves fine as does the control panel as well as the water and air pumps. The actual laser tube looks in good visible condition with no signs of cracks etc. and does not emit a pink visible beam.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound like a fault with the actual laser tube problem or power supply? I'm personally leaning towards a tube issue as the rest of the machine seems to be in order and the power supply looks undamaged with the fuse still intact.

2. Is there a troubleshoot guide or does anyone have any fault finding advice?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and I would be most grateful for any advice and/or help on my problem.

Thanks again,

James
To The Point Laser

Re: Please help diagnose my Laser/power issue

Post by To The Point Laser »

Check the output of the power supply with an ammeter. Also make sure your power wire to the tube is secure and protected where it attaches to the tube, the connection should have a cover on it to prevent arching