Liquid for the chiller

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Ekaterina

Liquid for the chiller

Post by Ekaterina »

Dear Members,

I would like to raise the topic about the liquid for the chiller. What liquid is more efficient: distilled or antifreeze?

Looking forward for your reply
Thank you in advance)
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: Liquid for the chiller

Post by LINUS »

In general,unless cold weather distilled is the best choose
xlntchiller

Post by xlntchiller »

In general, if the ambient temperature is above 5 Celsius degrees, the distilled water is ok. But, if the ambient temperature is under 5 Celsius degrees, especially in winter, it's better to add antifreeze in the coolant, otherwise, the evaporator may be broken.
Produce water chillers for laser cooling system. Accept OEM and ODM. Webiste: www.xlntchiller.com.
Ekaterina

Post by Ekaterina »

Thank you all for your answers
To continue the topic 1. can i use antifreeze after i used tap water for the chiller?
2.Can i use antifreeze even if the ambient temperature is above 15 Celsius degrees? The reason is that antifreeze doesn't have to be changed so often.
LINUS
Webmaster

Post by LINUS »

Yeah,That's okey.
Because of major,be at ease so.
To The Point Laser

Post by To The Point Laser »

I've seen some laser manufactures say never use antifreeze and some say it's fine, I'm researching the same thing. For now I use deionized water simply because it prevents static current on the glass tube.
Studio T

Post by Studio T »

Deionised water, it’s got less oxygen in it. You don’t need antifreeze really if you have a chiller/heater but better safe than sorry! Use propelyne glycol for the antifreeze. The refraction difference is minimal. Make sure you have enough anti freeze in the system, water starts expanding before it freezes and this will crack your tube.

If using an open system ( tank and aquarium chiller ) make sure the lines and the bucket is REALLY clean. I even run bleach through to wash it out. Don’t let the water sit static. Keep the pump running. Try to get all your bubbles out and let it run for 24 hours after that and the bubbles will vanish. You might want to box the tank in with some insulation. That should keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Mound growth can be an issue. I thought it was algae but it wasn’t it was mould. So every two weeks drop some iodine in it and if you can, keep that water under 12.5 degrees c. Mould loves impurities and warmth.

When using the laser boost the water temperature up to 15 degrees to avoid thermal shock when you first fire the laser.

Max temps should be set to between 15-25 degrees c ( depending on the dew point in the room apparently but I think this is over the top ) or the laser power will start dropping off and the end of the tube can drop off 😬

By the way. I’d recommend some enheim double taps. It makes changing the coolant a lot easier. Also cable tie your input tube to the laser tube to avoid snapping the end off.

That’s everything I know.

Ryan.