any advise on engraving 2 tone plastic black on white?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

gruszie

any advise on engraving 2 tone plastic black on white?

Post by gruszie »

I have been having some problems achieving good quality engraving on some two tone engraving plastic (Rowmark LaserMax) where the top layer is black and the core color is white. I have no problem engraving and getting good results with this type of plastic where the core color is darker than the cap but I can't seem to get good quality from a lighter core under a darker cap. The laser engraves properly but when i go to clean the material, the black dust contaminates the white core and discolors it pretty badly. I have tried all the tricks on trying to clean it, (magic eraser, acrylic polish, alcohol, masking tape, etc) each type has their own problems associated with it. The magic eraser works ok but to get the black out of the core it leaves rubbing marks on the cap material and ends up not looking good. Alcohol cleans the the black out very well but it stains the top black layer and ultimately ruins the material. I have tried almost every different power and speed levels to try to reduce the dust but have had no luck. I've also tried the "out of focus" thing too and it helps a little but no where enough for a quality result. I know this is probably the most difficult type of plastic to engrave and thought maybe someone out there had some good tip on how to get good quality results with this material. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Attachments
20170907_201203.jpg
20170907_201203.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1823 times
20170909_111749.jpg
20170909_111749.jpg (967.92 KiB) Viewed 1823 times