Laser Engraver for Beginner

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

reaper

Laser Engraver for Beginner

Post by reaper »

Hello everyone, name's Derik, I'm new to laser engraving and really would like to get into it. I've done a bit of research and haven't found anything that really matches to my criteria. I'm looking for a laser engraver that will engrave wood, the work area to roughly be about 20"x20", it can vary from that size but not a whole lot, easy to get replacement parts and easy to find and download software, I don't need anything super powerful, I believe 2.5W is right up my alley. Also, I'd like to stay under $250. I found something that caught my eye but haven't read into it much, it's a Eleksmaker A3 Pro. A setup like that would be ideal for what I plan on using it for. Anyone willing to help me out with a few recommendations?
chetvaldes

Re: Laser Engraver for Beginner

Post by chetvaldes »

Hi Derek,
I bought the same unit about 6 months ago and after a lot of time spent learning how to edit images, convert to a format the laser software can use, and trying different free laser softwares, I finally am able to cut gaskets out of paper and card stock, which was the intended goal (I use a lot of gaskets in my work). Overall, I've been very happy with it, and have enjoyed the time I've spent learning how to use it.
Be advised the maximum working area on this unit is 30 x 40 cm (11.5 x 15.5"). This machine takes a little time to assemble, and lots of time to master, but there are lots of Youtube videos out there showing how its done. The machine has some minor quirks, but nothing serious, and since it's so popular, there's a lot of information available online on how to modify, tweak, and upgrade it.
The machine takes up a lot of real estate on a work table, and to be used indoors you need to make some sort of vented enclosure to contain and eliminate the smoke (even cutting plain paper creates very irritating and probably fairly toxic smoke). So plan on a lot of work to get yourself properly set up. Getting some better laser safety goggles or glasses is a very good idea to protect your eyesight- the ones that come with the unit are very cheap, but ok to start with.
2.5 watts is borderline for my use when cutting cardstock, especially if it's white or any lighter color (doesn't absorb the laser energy as well)- I often have to make 2-3 passes or more to cut all the way through at high speed; if you go too slow you can ignite the material you're cutting. This is where experimenting comes in- getting the best speed/power ration for the material being cut or engraved. I'm not sure if a 5 watt unit would be better for my situation, but I'm definitely thinking about making that upgrade; maybe I'll buy one as a second unit if I can find the room to set it up. Hope this helps you or anyone else out there that is reading this.
Regards,
Chet
parischaikinpllc

Re: Laser Engraver for Beginner

Post by parischaikinpllc »

Very good post. Lots of information mentioned in this article.

Personal injury law firm New York I Construction accident lawyer NYC