Lower end Laser machines

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

JamesRich

Lower end Laser machines

Post by JamesRich »

Hi, I've seen cheap K40 style lasers with a small pump but no water drum to feed it and receive the warm/hot water back. Do you have to provide the drum and does it have to be sealed or can a bucket do ? Using with an electrial device suggests it should be sealed or at least covered securely.

I have also seen tubes of 40w, 50w and 60w ( and higher 100w etc. but let's stick to the lower wattage ones ). Are there only two advantages of using a 60w compared to a 40w ?
- A 60w produces a stronger beam, so can cut deeper ( how much deeper in wood ? ).
- the power can be reduced to get the same cut depth as the 40w, and running at a lower percentage of it's maximum compared to the 40w means the laser tube lasts longer.

I'm looking at a small business idea, and if it is profitable would buy a larger, better quality and higher powered machine. But I don't want to outlay more money than I have to just to test the water. If the only advantages of a 60w over a 40w are that the tube will last longer and you get a deeper cut ( meaning fewer passes although more burn ), then I can cope with that. If there are other more important advantages, I'll have to reconsider the whole idea. I could have someone with a laser cut parts for me, but a lot will be trial and error, and the costs will start to add up with each request.

Thanks.
Tweakie

Re: Lower end Laser machines

Post by Tweakie »

Do you have to provide the drum and does it have to be sealed or can a bucket do ? Using with an electrial device suggests it should be sealed or at least covered securely.
A plastic drum (with removable lid) works well but you need to monitor coolant temperature.
If laser use raises the coolant temperature more than a few degrees above ambient then you may need to have a cooler connected into the system. Some just drop ice packs into the drum as necessary but you need to be aware not to create any thermal shock to the laser tube if coolant temp. drops too rapidly.

It depends on what you will want to do with the laser as biggest is not always best.
JamesRich

Post by JamesRich »

Thanks for the info. Granted more expensive machines or those using the laser seriously will have a temperature gauge. But for those just starting out, can you just use a thermometer ? I've also just realised that having a large butt means more water, and therefore the overall temperature will rise more slowly.

Concerning the siting of it, could you put it in a garden shed and use there, or will the fall in temperature overnight and subsequent condensation damage the tube ? My only other option is a small bedroom, but burning through wood with possible flames, a large butt of water, the smell and noise doesn't sit well in a bedroom. I don't have a garage or any other space. I know I need a workshop, but until I can show the business is profitable, I don't want to lay out rent on a medium or even short term let.
JamesRich

Post by JamesRich »

Just to clarify, it's a spare bedroom, not the one I sleep in at night !