Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

sambyerley

Laser arcing - please help!

Post by sambyerley »

Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate some help.

I'll go through step by step.

I have a 50w laser engraver for 4 months.

It had been working perfectly until one day it stopped engraving mid project. It was still moving as if it was engraving but no laser. I noticed that it had stopped engraving because.I could hear a buzzing noise coming from the PSU. I could also see a little spark inside. I stopped the machine immediately and began to investigate.

After a fee hours and disconnecting, I opened up the PSU and and noticrd a bit of dust etc imside. So I gave it a gooooood clean. Put it all back together. plugged it in and tried again. Hey presto, it worked perfectly!! For maybe 3 hours.... when the same thing happened mid project.

The PSU wasnt making any strange noises anymore however. I took a look at the laser, and noticed that it was arcing near the exit when i tested it, regardless of power setting. I read up arcing issues and came to the conclusion that it must be the tube that has broken.

I have now replaced the tube. However, the same issue is occuring. Arcing at the exit end!!! The PSU still lights up when you press the test button on the PSU itself. 

I have ordered another PSU but it doesn't arrive for a few more days.

Does anyone know if it is possible that it could be the PSU that is at fault? Or alternatively what the issue could be?

I am so behind on work now its laughable so any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Many thanks,

Sam
sambyerley

Re: Laser arcing - please help!

Post by sambyerley »

Image of the problem
Image of the problem
20180819_153921.jpg (126.1 KiB) Viewed 1898 times