Safety google question

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

cagray751

Safety google question

Post by cagray751 »

I apologize if this is in the wrong area or has been asked before. I just found this forum and though I would ask others advice.

I purchased a 2.5w blue laser from ebay to use with my 3018 cnc machine. Everything works fine but the laser does not have a users manual and have not gotten a reply from the seller. When I first power on the unit a green power LED is illuminated and when I operate the laser a small beam emits but no where near powerful enough to do any engraving (I think the beam is green but I am wearing green goggles so I am not sure). There is a button on top of the laser module that when I press turns the LED a bright blue. Once I do that and operate the laser I very bright beam emits that can and does etch.

My question is this, do you think I need the goggles when operating the initial green beam? It seems that is a beam that can be used to test for material aliment etc. It would be easier to see my work piece if I did not have to wear the goggles during this time.

Thanks in advance!
djmartins

Re: Safety google question

Post by djmartins »

You must have safety glasses when using the machine but a blue laser needs orange or red safety glasses.
The chinese give and sell green ones with blue lasers and it is WRONG.
Search the forum for more info on this.
Next, you need to focus the laser before you can engrave anything, again, check the forum for info on that too.