Question about rotary attachment

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

mikesinclair

Question about rotary attachment

Post by mikesinclair »

I have a brief hardware question if I may.

I just bought a generic (well made) rotary attachment for use with my Universal Laser X2-600 CO2 cutter/engraver. The attachment comes with a connector with 4 pins (required for a 2-phase stepper motor) but my laser has a 9 pin connector (DB-9-F) that a rotary plugs into.

Does anyone know the pinouts of ULS' rotary attachment? (I'm an electrical engineer and can make an adapter but need to know the connections). I'm guessing a minimum of 4 connections are required for the motor plus maybe 2 more to tell the laser that a rotary is plugged and maybe 2 more for the home position. I've asked ULS but no reply.

Any help would be appreciated.
mikesinclair

Re: Question about rotary attachment

Post by mikesinclair »

I tried connecting the ULS' DB-9's pins 6-9 to the 4 wires of the rotary's motor (Dave448's suggestion). It did electrically lock the motor (which is good) but trying to get the program move the rotary motor didn't work. I still believe there may be some function in pins 1-5 that tells the computer there's a rotary plugged in.

One solution I had in the back of my mind but was avoiding was to disconnect the laser's Y-axis motor drive and connected it to the rotary's motor. That works well. I'll have to remember to move the Laser's Y-axis arm manually to align with the rotary axis.