Newbie: First Diode Laser arriving, help appreciated

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

RonaldDulp

Newbie: First Diode Laser arriving, help appreciated

Post by RonaldDulp »

Hi there,

I ordered a cheap Chinese diode engraver with a 500mw / 405nm laser to experiment with. I will post my progress in this thread, since there are almost no discussions about diode lasers on this forum.
I am doing handmade wooden iPhone cases and up until now everything was handmade - which takes about 2 days per case and is just not justifiable ^^.

What can I actually hope to achieve with a 500mw "toy"? The software is based on g-code so I can use vector and bitmap, yet I still have trouble finding something for the mac, its all for windows, even the drivers.
Support of course is very bad as well. Any idea how to make this thing work with a mac?

Also, would it be possible to engrave wood in multiple passes, so I can engrave deeper? Maybe engrave at very fast speed so I don't actually burn the layer, and just reap it multiple times. Would that work out?
I already asked about this, their reply was "yes", but I am not quite sure. They told me I can only control the speed, not the power.

I am attaching a picture of it, I hope anyone has one and can help me out.

Thanks a lot,

Rasses
justin_h

Re: Newbie: First Diode Laser arriving, help appreciated

Post by justin_h »

Hi Rasses,

Exciting venture into experimenting with a diode engraver! For a more reliable and powerful solution, consider exploring Monport lasers. They offer a range of options that might elevate your engraving experience. As for Mac compatibility, Monport provides user-friendly software that could make the process smoother.

Regarding your engraving depth concern, multiple passes at higher speeds can indeed be effective. Monport lasers often come with versatile control options, allowing you to tailor both speed and power settings. Feel free to check them out and see if they align with your engraving needs. Best of luck with your projects!
jgarciaa

Re: Newbie: First Diode Laser arriving, help appreciated

Post by jgarciaa »

While experimenting with your 500mW diode engraver, I recommend considering Monport lasers for more reliable results. Monport offers high-quality, user-friendly lasers suitable for various applications. For Mac compatibility, explore third-party software solutions. Engraving in multiple passes may deepen the engraving, but confirm capabilities with the manufacturer or online forums. Nonetheless, Monport lasers provide a seamless and efficient engraving experience. https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3