Cleaning Co2 Laser Tube (cooling system)

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

kenuw69

Cleaning Co2 Laser Tube (cooling system)

Post by kenuw69 »

Hi All

Does anyone know of anything I could use to flush though the cooling part of a Chinese CO2 laser tube?

I have recently started employment in small acrylic fabrication company which own to lasers cutting machines.
the other day I switched the smaller of the two on and the chiller unit began to alarm.
I checked the chiller unit first by running a pipe straight from the inlet to the outlet which cleared the alarm
I then followed the pipework through the laser machine itself and found no kinks or clogs.
I then checked the coolant running through the tube and it appears to be blocked.....

the tube itself has seen little in the way of maintenance by the looks of it as it's full of sediment. So I was wondering before I throw in the towel and ask my new employers to fork out for a new laser tube is their anyway of cleaning the blockage and the tube (chemically perhaps)? as it was still running well when I last used it (surprisingly).

I have tried running the chiller backwards or a few hours to clear the blockage also

kenuw69
Last edited by kenuw69 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: Cleaning Co2 Laser Tube (cooling system)

Post by LINUS »

There is no need to clean as long as long there is a water (cooler) flow.
But if you insist you can do it using enything you want that does not dissolve glass.
Cooling circuit inside laser is the glass only.
fbold1

Post by fbold1 »

You could try running some vinegar through it, this may dissolve some of the calcium buildup. Good luck!
kenuw69

Post by kenuw69 »

fbold1 wrote:You could try running some vinegar through it, this may dissolve some of the calcium buildup. Good luck!
Thank you