Alternative to CW-3000

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Michealpync

Alternative to CW-3000

Post by Michealpync »

I've recently purchased a CO2 80w laser from china.

I purchased the CW-3000 "chiller" as it seemed to be highly recommended by folks that I spoke to but after using it for a few days, I've discovered that it totally useless to me for use in sub-tropical Brisbane in summer. I couldn't work out why it always gets to approximately ambient temperature after a short period of use so I opened up the case to trouble shoot. I discovered that the "chiller" is not a chiller at all but it's just a glorified water pump.

To keep myself operational, I'm going to use ice to help with the cooling but I need a long term solution.

I would like to hear from others who live in warm climates about how you cool your laser.

Thanks
Johno

Similar Threads:
alternative to M0
alternative way of using THC
Build Thread- HSP Alternative????
PIC Alternative
NEUPLENOEVEMI

Re: Alternative to CW-3000

Post by NEUPLENOEVEMI »

Fatbody tubes really need to be kept under 23 degrees Johno but normal tubes are fine up to 28 or so. Better would be a nice stable temperature between 17 and 19C

Too low can cause condensation problems , too high will lead to early tube failure. The best temperature and the best for us temperature are two different things by about 250 degrees

cheers

Dave
Williehomy

Re: Alternative to CW-3000

Post by Williehomy »

Thanks for your helps guys.

I've purchased an aquarium chiller that was old stock at the local supplier so was discounted.

I have put it in series between the CW-3000 and the laser tube. I'll be testing it tomorrow but I don't expect any problems. The pump on the CW-3000 is rated at 15 litres per minute (800 per hour) and the chiller is rated at 800-2200 litres per hour and is adjustable for temperature between 0 and 40 deg C.

I'm not sure what the ideal temperature is for the laser tube is but I figure I'll start at 15 deg C and go from there. If anyone has any guidance regarding the best temperature I'd love to from you.

Johno