Epilog legend 32 LCD won't display anything

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

BiVecyMisy

Epilog legend 32 LCD won't display anything

Post by BiVecyMisy »

I bought a Legend 32 at government auction about a month ago. Been slowly reading up on it and fixing little stuff here and there.

One issue I have is that when I power the machine on, the machine beeps as ready, the LCD backlight comes on... but nothing displays on it.

The control panel is communicating with the motors tho. I can raise and lower the table by pressing "focus" and then turning the control knob. And the x/y motors work as well. When I press "reset" the head returns to the home position at the top left.

I took the control panel out completely and cleaned all the connections I could find. No dice.

The only thing I can think of is this potentiometer for contrast looked slightly bent. It's directly accessible from outside the machine. When I checked the legs for continuity, at first I read an open circuit between the wiper and one of the other legs. So I slightly bent it back and now it reads a different resistance depending on how I've adjusted the pot.

And still, nothing on the LCD when I power the machine on. Itried "jiggling" the contrast pot a little bit (very lightly) to see if I could get the screen to flicker some data, but nothing.

Friend of mine thinks it might be that one of the ICs on the display board has gone bad.

Any ideas?

Here's a picasa album with all the pics of the item in question
https://picasaweb.google.com/21Andy1...eat=directlink

Any help ya'll could throw at me would be most appreciated.