New to the laser world, need help on starting a project.

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Meestho

New to the laser world, need help on starting a project.

Post by Meestho »

Hi everyone. I am new to the world of laser cutting and engraving. I have a project and I need your help as I know nothing about what I will need. I'm looking to do acrylic tokens and I'd like some tips on achieving this project. Tokens are similar to these:

I'm planning to make the tokens out of coloured translucent acrylic. Size should be about half an inch to an inch in diameter and 3mm thick. There will be engraving and cutting to do. If you can help me, here are the questions I have for you:

-Can a laser cutting machine both cut and engrave at the same time? What I mean by this is can I leave the sheet in the machine and it will do a pass for all the engraving to do on the sheet and than it will do a second pass to cut everything?

-How can I calculate the time it will take to create one token base on the spec of a specific machine. I understand that machine are different therefore it would be impossible to calculate the time to cut base only on my project. However if there is an average and you can provide it base on my information, it would be great.

-What type of machine would you recommend for this? Someone told me I would need a 40w machine but I really know nothing at this point. What should I expect to spend on said machine and what spaces does it take. Should I go the chinese way, the used way or the american way?

-Finally, I heard acrylic fumes are toxic and therefore you need a well ventilated space for this. Since I'm in an appartment, it will be impossible to work this from home. What would you suggest in term of space to use a machine like this?

Thank you for your time on this if you can help.

Have a good day

Jean-Nicolas
Michael Henriksen

Re: New to the laser world, need help on starting a project.

Post by Michael Henriksen »

40 watts will do the job. The very cheap K40 lasers use software called Moshidraw which will not let you cut and engrave in one session. Most other lasers that run Lasercut, RDworks etc. will cut and engrave in one session.

Can't comment on the time to cut. Depends on the true power of your tube and the material.

Acrylic stinks and you must vent to the outside. You neighbors might not like the smell. Running a laser in an apartment is a very bad idea. If left unattended they can cause a fire and your insurance may not cover that. A shed or garage is fine but if not frost-free you must add anti-freeze to the coolant. Also remember electronics don't like damp conditions.

Chines, used or US - let your wallet decide. I've only ever used own import Chinese machines and they have served be well.

Might be worth looking into having some tokes cut for you before you start investing in your own machine.
Meestho

Post by Meestho »

What is the size of a machine like this? Are there some that are portable? Should I look simply for 40W laser cutting machine or should I look for more specification?

How could I calculate the time for a project when I know the power of the tube and the material? It is just to get an approximation so I know how long it will take to produce a set of tokens.

Any reading you would suggest for someone new to this by the way?

I am planning on having some cut for samples before jumping in the band wagon but I am trying to create a project and I want to budget it to see if it is feasible or not.

Thanks again

JN
Michael Henriksen

Post by Michael Henriksen »

You can probably cut at 10mm/s with a 40W tube so base your calculation on that.

There is no fixed size - you can fit a 40W tube in a very large machine. Lasers are not really portable as you need coolant, air assist etc. Plus you might have to re-align the optics every time you move it around.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy a cheap K40 laser on Ebay. They are junk.

A LG3040/LG500 from G.Weike is about the most affordable entry level laser you can get. Depending on your location you should be able to import one for about USD3000.