Introduction machine + myself

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Baldur

Introduction machine + myself

Post by Baldur »

Hi freaks,

I would like to shortly introduce my machine and myself:

My name is Armin, Iḿ 51 and I live in the south of Germany, near to Stuttgart.
I have built a laser engraving and cutting machine during the last couple of weeks or more truly lets say months (because there are better things to do during the motorbike season).

The laser source is a water cooled, frequency tripled Nd:YAG, as you all know, 355 nm, Q-switched.
The laser is a little worn, so the maximum average output power is 1.6 W@4.5 kHz.
This is enough to cut 0.4 mm steel!
The laser has very high peak power (in the kW-range, pulse width some ns)
The rep-rate ranges fro cw to 100 kHz.

The optical path consists of a beam expander, turn mirror and focus lens with a focal length of 35 mm, so the spot size is really small, only a few microns.

The XY-table uses DC servo motors and Kuroda high precision ball screws, encoder resolution is 0.5 microns.
The servo drives I use, are called UHU-Servo from Uli Huber: http://www.uhu-servo.de/servo_en/index.htm

I first decided to use LinuxCNC, but I changed my mind and I took a Chinese Controller „AWC 708c“ from Sinjoe. Sinjoe does provide the software „LaserCAD“ too. Itś a standalone solution, if you want to, no PC is required for driving the machine.

As you can see on the pictures, Iḿ easily capable of writing on a hair (my wifeś one :- ).
The larger letters are 50 microns in hight, the smaller ones are just 25 microns high!

The „mutilation“ of the word „LASE“ is caused by a conversion error of the software, not by the machine!

The last picture shows my son on an illuminated microscope slide. The engraving is not on the surface, itś inside the glass!

My intention of course, is not to label all my wifeś hair.

I ḿ thinking about building a display for a watch, something cool, not used before.

Some other inspirations? I appreciate every good idea!

Best regards

Armin
P1050358.JPG
P1050358.JPG (795.46 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
P1050339.JPG
P1050339.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3381 times
P1050308.JPG
P1050308.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3381 times
P1050174.JPG
P1050174.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3381 times
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: Introduction machine + myself

Post by LINUS »

Welcome to Laser Engraver Forum.Look so good. ;)