Cutting plastic but failed

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

dcardonlineru

Cutting plastic but failed

Post by dcardonlineru »

I have a 50W laser machine.
Everyone I spoke to mentioned that it will be able to cut even more than 5mm acrylics. However, I tried cutting 3mm plastic but failed.
I tried with 50 power and 30 mm/s as stated in some website. Failed all my attempts and I tried with higher power and low speed which resulted in melting sort of the plastic.
And I can't seem to cut wood either. Please help.
Thank you.
doupleseste

Re: Cutting plastic but failed

Post by doupleseste »

if it is a new machine, and it can't cut out 5mm acrylic,maybe there is something wrong with the laser tube.
you also need to check whether there is something wrong with your reflective mirrors, are they clean as well?
ddpworkshop

Re: Cutting plastic but failed

Post by ddpworkshop »

Im new to this formum and just received my nova 35 on friday...after doing numerous tests, the low speed of say 5, and power at 100% should cut the material. The other thing that can help is to increase the frequency. In rdworks this is accessed through the colour layer. to the right of the drop down list for scan/cut/dot etc...its the advanced button...go down to the bottom of the window to Laser1 freq (KHZ) and increase the fingure to say 50...you may find in doing this you can reduce the power.....my experience is pretty limited but i hope this helps...