Engraving with contact paper

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

hiljor

Engraving with contact paper

Post by hiljor »

Hi All,
I am currently engraving on various materials and am using contact paper (clear adhesive backed plastic) to protect the surface but also to add colour to that text/picture after engraving. The contact paper I am using seems to be too heavy and is melting into the engraving and not burning away which results in me having to remove little bits of plastic out of engraved text etc.
Can anyone please recommend a type of contact paper to use to achieve the best results
TIA
Hilary
AvroraSen

Re: Engraving with contact paper

Post by AvroraSen »

Before we get to tips for cutting and engraving, lets start with some good ideas for preparing to cut or engrave.
Masking: If your going to engrave on something be aware that the smoke for the the engraving can stain the edges of the engraved surface. If you don't want that cover the surface with masking tape to protect it. The masking tape won't decrease the power of the laser much (bump up the power a bit if you feel it needs it) and the masking tape will protect the material around the engraving from the smoke. After running the engraving just peal the masking tape off. I use this a lot if I'm engraving on leather.
Presets: Your laser should have some suggested settings for cutting or engraving different materials and different thicknesses. You should also be able to load these settings into your computer or laser and save them as presets. Be sure to name them something that makes sense so you can easily find them That way the next time you need to engrave on leather or cut 1/8" thick acrylic, you can just find the preset for that material.
Test cuts: Even when I have a preset for cutting a material I usually try to run a test cut in it before I run the full job. Nothing is worse than taking the material out of the laser and finding that it didn't cut all the way through. I create a small circle or square (about 1/4" or 1/2" wide) and cut out in corner or on some scrap material. Then I can see if I need to increase or decrease the power before I run the final cut.
11.jpg
11.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 13766 times