Strange issue, laser tube burn pattern on test piece is a concentric ring.

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Geraldet

Strange issue, laser tube burn pattern on test piece is a concentric ring.

Post by Geraldet »

Hello all,
I have a strange problem with the test burn pattern from my laser tube. Long story short first up is that my power supply died and the link below is the background, read away if you like.

G weike laser won't fire. Help trouble shoot power supply, controller or tube.

I had purchased another power supply and all was good as it lit up my tube right away. The problem right off the bat was that it would not cut anything with the same power and speed settings as with the old power supply. It would only cut at full power and very slowly. I had decided to check the mirror alignment just to completely eliminate anything there and this is what I found.

The pattern on the test piece on top of the first mirror is an oval (as expected) but oddly with a clear unburnt section in the middle. I decided to shoot some test pieces directly in front of the tube and the same result. They are circles as expected due to being square to the tube but they are a concentric ring.

Very oddly is that from time to time it will shoot something closer to the normal shape that you would expect.

The tube exit window is clean so nothing on there is causing the issue.

I know the answer is that the tube is stuffed but why would that be?
How could the power supply damage the tube like this?
Damn it, it's only 16 months old and not really that many hours.

I'm off to replace the tube now, hopefully no more issues.

The pictures below will tell the full story.
Attachments
33.jpg
33.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
21.jpg
21.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
FaydenOr

Re: Strange issue, laser tube burn pattern on test piece is a concentric ring.

Post by FaydenOr »

What is your meter reading the power supply may not be putting out the same amount of power as your old one
Teplopl

Post by Teplopl »

Hi, thanks for the prompt, I forgot to include this info before.

The power supply appears to be behaving normally as the ammeter on the machine reads what I think it should around 30 mA at full load. I haven't checked with the resistor but am ok with the ammeter tells me.

Have put on the new tube today and still in the process of rechecking the alignment and will report back. Still has me stumped as to what could cause a tube not to put out a "solid" beam.
RolandHap

Ana voyance

Post by RolandHap »

Thank you very much for this great site I found very interesting indeed with a nice interface, easy navigation. It is really great! Congratulations and good luck .
Your answer is here
voyance
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

A doughmit shap is the tube on the way out...
What brand is the tube, this happens to a certain brand of tube more than others....if you contact me direct i can say more about this issue.
On a lot of occasions even though the beam is a ring not a dot, the power level can be the same as a solid circle, but when it it focused it is diffracted more than the solid beam causing wider lines poor engraving quality. About 3 years ago I had several Reci tubes go like this after power supplies failing, it seemed worse on the higher power tubes than the lower, on 80w to 100w it was weaker in the center but darker around the edges, but the 130 to 180w had definite doughnut profiles and some had patchy dark spots around the ring. I just had one where a UK supplier changed a friends tube as he was told his old tube was broken, They fitted a new 80w tube, charged him £1200 and when tested its a doughnut. The tube manufacturer was EFR who confirmed it was a fault, but the UK retailer would not accept it and refused to change it.