I want to purchase Laser cutter and need to some advice !

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Williamsom

I want to purchase Laser cutter and need to some advice !

Post by Williamsom »

Hello, I am a middle school Technology Education teacher in the process of writing a grant to develop and STEM lab and move forward from the old "Shop" style class (yes the kids will still be working with their hands and using wood working tools as well). I have already found funding for a Roland Vinyl cutter and ShopBot Buddy CNC I am now looking into 3D printers and laser cutters.

So besides the standard "What is the best for the money?" question, I need to have a larger importance on durability and ease of use as well since the students are appx 13 y/o. I am looking for a laser cutter for around $5000 is my goal. My original choice was epilog but their cost is probably a bit high for what I will be able to get. I have also been looking into hurricane lasers.

The laser would mainly be used for engraving or cutting thin 1/8" woods nothing very extreme.

If any one has any suggestions for me, or experience with a laser cutter in their school I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a lot
Ladonelrorn

Re: I want to purchase Laser cutter and need to some advice !

Post by Ladonelrorn »

The high-school electronics lab I student-teach at has just purchased a Full Spectrum Laser engraver/cutter. I believe it came in around $5500 with some options.

Haven't tried it yet, but based on other teacher's recommendations it is top-notch for support and quality.
Jgxdgjmcc

Post by Jgxdgjmcc »

Do yourself a favour and DO NOT BUY FULL SPECTRUM LASERS!

Do a search on this forum to see what people (Including myself) think of FSE and what their products and customer service is REALLY like when you have the inevitable problem with their products.

There are other US based companies like Rabbit Lasers and Hurricane that seem to be real good guys, if you want to be parochial.
Wifthsqor

Post by Wifthsqor »

Hello there ,
60W tube seems satisfy you on engraving and cutting 1/8'' woods . One thing is that speed on cutting will be slow and much power should set on . Before I use a 60W tube 6090 type machine ,set speed 4 power 90 on cutting plywood, thickness is 4 mm . So you may have a look .Well the 80W tube will be more powerful and quick than 60W . If you do not have this requrement that will be OK to purchase a 60W tube . Pls be more careful while using lasers when the kids is around .
Best regards,
XYZ Machinery
NorbertSank

Post by NorbertSank »

I'm a technology teacher in upstate ny. We recently purchased a used laser engraver that was 12 years old. It is a Taiwanese machine. The laser itself was non functioning and the print driver only worked with older versions do autocad and Corel draw.

I first replaced the laser with a Chinese 40w tube and power supply. Next, I replaced the control boards with an Anywells AWC-608 from light objects.com. Everything works great and the laser is fast, accurate, and powerful.

One feature of the laser, is it allows me to quickly load files located on a flash drive. We use this quite a bit when you have multiple projects going on at the same time with different classes.
Wayne Rees

Post by Wayne Rees »

Thunderlaser every time, one of the best made machines for the price even better than machines costing 3 to 4 times,
We have had Rabbits, Epilogs, GEC, Trotecs, and several other Chinese, but Thunderlaser are the best
Williamsom

Post by Williamsom »

Thanks ! I aleady how to make a chioce.