How to cut silicone liner paper multiple sheets

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Unreatrap

How to cut silicone liner paper multiple sheets

Post by Unreatrap »

I'm trying to cut label liner, silicone coated. We need at least 10 thick. All common logic dictates that you should not cut more than one thick.
Are there any tips tricks to cutting more than 1 sheet at a time...?
I was thinking something along the lines of high suction to evacuate the air rapidly thus extinguishing the flame?
Or I read about clamping down the pieces with magnets, thus removing excess air via clamping?
Would there be any benefit in a sacrificial heavier non-flammable material on top and or bottom to weep away some of the heat?

I'm new to all of this, so please bare this in mind...
Jefferybarf

Re: How to cut silicone liner paper multiple sheets

Post by Jefferybarf »

a vacuum environment will help but as yet I've never had any real success cutting multiple non metal sheet materials that aren't bonded together. One method that does give *some* result is using spray mount on the layers to remove any air gaps between them but even that isn't great.
Unreatrap

Post by Unreatrap »

We've had good luck when a stack was bonded together via static, but then the adhesive gooed and made them difficult to separate. BY removing the waste matrix (non-printed label material outside the die line) the adhesive won't be an issue, but I doubt the sheets will lay as tightly together...
Robertmr

Post by Robertmr »

Unreatrap wrote:We've had good luck when a stack was bonded together via static, but then the adhesive gooed and made them difficult to separate. BY removing the waste matrix (non-printed label material outside the die line) the adhesive won't be an issue, but I doubt the sheets will lay as tightly together...
the issues is subsurface gas generation between the layers, the action of the laser cutting generates flammable gasses between the layers leading to flashovers and underside scorching. In this event the air assist is counter productive as it will try to lift one layer from the next.Flame retarding materials between the layers will cause a dissimilar materials issue with the actual cutting that can be visualised by warping as well as liberation of various fumes that will contribute to the gas layer problem.

Very high pressure air assist will help so long as the cutting head is within the 2/1 exit/standoff ratio of the surface.
Unreatrap

Post by Unreatrap »

So here's a few more ideas.
A metal frame around the edge of the sheet, press all edges so that NO edge is exposed, like a picture frame.
Next, a magnet on each piece to be cut out, thus keeping it from flying away and further reducing air between sheets.
High air flow/pressure as well. If all of these are met, does it sound like there could be a chance?
Michaelea

Post by Michaelea »

Unreatrap wrote:So here's a few more ideas.
A metal frame around the edge of the sheet, press all edges so that NO edge is exposed, like a picture frame.
Next, a magnet on each piece to be cut out, thus keeping it from flying away and further reducing air between sheets.
High air flow/pressure as well. If all of these are met, does it sound like there could be a chance?
No, it's not going to work.

If you need lots of the same shape, I'd recommend a steel rule die and a clicker press. That will easily cut 10 layers or more in one shot and is cheaper than a (good quality) laser.
Unreatrap

Post by Unreatrap »

No, a die would be useless.
Thanks for all the feedback, we have been doing some testing with a laser manufacturer and he was able to cut through 10 layers with no flare-up, by adjusting the settings. So, it looks like we are back in business!