lines in my engraving

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

inbrissy

lines in my engraving

Post by inbrissy »

Hi guys,
I've just finished building my laser engraving machine running an Arduino Uno and a CNC shield. Its a 3.5w L-Cheapo laser and I'm using PicLaser Lite to try and create some raster etches.

What I'm getting is in the photo attached. It seems to happen mostly when trying to engrave diagonally but somewhat horizontally also. I've tried to adjust the pixel resolution up a little to allow for more line overlap but it doesn't seem to make any difference when etching diagonally.

I understand that by going diagonally, it will overlap the pixels better so I'd like to get that working correctly if I can but I need to figure out what is causing the lines to fix it.

Currently I'm running at 2000 feed rate with a pixel resolution of 0.1651mm.

Anyone know what i'm missing/doing wrong?
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (810.55 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: lines in my engraving

Post by LINUS »

Your can try smaller interval
20161220211342.jpg
20161220211342.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
inbrissy

Re: lines in my engraving

Post by inbrissy »

I've tried down to 0.04.

It looks like I have some backlash coming from somewhere. I'm not sure what it is. everything is tight and both X and Y is moving freely and easily. I did figure out that my burn line is vertical so engraving rasters vertically works a whole lot better.

I just have to figure out the backlash. Not sure what else to try. perhaps I need to look at my grbl settings.