Cutting Problem

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
stevenresnick

Cutting Problem

Post by stevenresnick »

I cut a lot of 3mm Baltic Birch Plywood and the first cut of the design doesn't cut all the way through (about 3/8"}, but the rest of the design cuts perfectly.
It seems to me that there isn't enough power when it does the first cut.
Is there a delay in a power setting that the laser isn't getting enough power when it starts up??
Also the exhaust blower turns on right away when the laser starts.

Thanks for the help
Steven
Ben

Re: Cutting Problem

Post by Ben »

Hi Steven,

Do you mean laser cannot cut through at the left top corner?please laser a 10mm acrylic to check if the laser beam is vertical.

About the exhaust fan, do you mean it starts after turn on the laser switch,you want it starts till you start a job,right?
stevenresnick

Post by stevenresnick »

Hi Ben
Sorry for the late response.
I just survived a Cat 3 Hurricane her in Florida.
When I cut a design out in 3mm Birch or 6mm Birch the first 3/8" doesn't cut through. The rest of the design cuts out perfectly.
Could there be a power loss when the laser and blower motor come on at the same time and the laser doesn't have enough power at the very beginning

Thanks,
Steven
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Steven,

Good to hear from you.
Haha,we have also encountered several typhoon these two months in Guangdong province.
For your cutting problem,can you show some pictures to explain the problem,i'm not quite sure what you mean for the first 3/8" doesn't cut through.
If the laser just doesn't have enough power at the very beginning,i think you better check the laser alignment.
There won't be a power loss only the beginning unless this position have poor laser path.
stevenresnick

Post by stevenresnick »

Hi Ben
I've checked and focused all the mirrors and everything is perfect.
For some reason there isn't enough power when the laser start to cut or I've noticed that when I start to engrave the first 3mm of engraving aren't as deep as the rest of the engrave area.
You can see from the photos that I've attached what I'm talking about.
The material in the photo is 6mm MDF that is painted on the finished surface and unfinished on the other side.

Thanks
Steven
Attachments
IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1826.JPG (101.61 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
IMG_1827.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG (130.43 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
stevenresnick

Post by stevenresnick »

Hi Ben
UPDATE:
I disconnected the Blower and tried cutting some small shape and it cut perfectly.
So,the problem is something to do with electrical.
I plugged the blower into another outlet on the same circuit and tried cutting and it cut perfectly.
So there is some sort of power problem with the laser when the laser, air compress {that you supplied} and the blower come on at the same time.

Thanks and look forward to your responce.
Steven
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your information.
So only blower be plugged to the outlet of the exhaust fan,the problem happens,right?
Blower and air compressor,they both connect to the TL-timer,please try the "MANUAL" mode of TL-timer.
Then try again with the test.
http://www.thunderlaser.com/features/smart-board.html
stevenresnick

Post by stevenresnick »

Ben,
Can you please show me on the photo how to change it to manual.

Thanks
Steven
Ben

Post by Ben »

TL-Timer-51.jpg
TL-Timer-51.jpg (804.96 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
stevenresnick

Post by stevenresnick »

Hi Ben
That worked, but the blower will run as soon as I power up the laser. Is there any other solutions so the blower comes on when the laser starts?
What is the total amps for the Laser, compressor and blower?? The laser is plugged into a 20 amp circuit.
That may not be enough for the start up.

Thanks
Steven