Z-Axis only goes down

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
timmins

Z-Axis only goes down

Post by timmins »

Thunderlaser Mini-60, 60W

I've had this machine almost 3 years without one problem until today.

My z-axis stopped moving in the up/positive direction. It goes down/negative just fine. My initial thought was a limit switch was stuck in a closed position...it behaves just like it...the motor will only move in one direction.

- I toggled the switch (S4) no change,
- I replaced the switch no change. (The diagnostics screen shows the Z+ limit switch is on.)
- I can toggle all the other limit switches and they are fine.
- I traced the wire back to the controller: all the connections are tight.
- The common/neg wire at the switch side is grounded.
- There is only 0.75 volts across the positive/red wire to the switch AND at the controller.
- Neither wire is shorted to ground at either end of the wire and there is 4Mohm between them.
- Stepper wires are all connected (power, gnd, step, direction etc.) and solid at the driver and stepper (no loose wires, or shorts.)

These are the obvious (to me) steps to check...I've power cycled the machine multiple times, same outcome...the Z- limit switch stays active.

Any troubleshooting next steps? I couldn't search for similar issues...my keywords are too generic.

thanks in advance for your help
Ben

Re: Z-Axis only goes down

Post by Ben »

Hi Timmins,

I'm wondering if your machine have installed this kinds of sensor on laser head for auto focus,see below.
1.png
1.png (600.1 KiB) Viewed 12903 times
If yes,please check if the sensor is always on red light,which means it's stuck or conducting the object so the working table cannot move up any more.
Please check as following:
1.Check if the autofocus sensor is dirty,use some alcohol to clean it.
proximity sensor.jpg
proximity sensor.jpg (201.74 KiB) Viewed 12903 times
2.The sensitivity of auto focus is too active,please adjust to give it back to work.
3.png
3.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 12903 times
If still nothing,please unplug the interface and see what will happen.
4.png
4.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 12903 times
timmins

Re: Z-Axis only goes down

Post by timmins »

Excellent...that took care of the problem! The sensor was clean but when I bumped the sensitivity adjustment, it began working. I never use the autofocus function as it was not repeatable with materials I use. I believe I'll leave it disconnected. Thank-you for your quick response and resolution!