Thunderlaser Mars

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
Lester Lio

Thunderlaser Mars

Post by Lester Lio »

Tom,
I had started the laser last weekend, everything worked great except for one thing. We are using this machine to cut gasket material (something that can be cut with a scissors) and were no able to increase the power enough to get it to cut through, just scribe the material. We had increased the power setting to 100% in the computer controller as well as the controller on the laser itself. Do you have any thoughts in order to make the desired cut?
Thank you!
Thunder laser - Tom

Re: Thunderlaser Mars

Post by Thunder laser - Tom »

Hi Lester
Sorry for late answer since we are on holiday before, so i can't reply you in time
For your questions:
1. could you please tell me what thickness with your gasket material?
If this material is very hard and too thick, the laser will not cut it through.
So we need to check if there is normal with the laser beam and the focus.
2. how many distance with the focus while working? is 6mm distance focus,right?
Looking forward to hear from you
Sincerely
Tom
Lester Lio

Post by Lester Lio »

Hello Tom,
Sorry for my late response, haven’t had time to go and work on the laser.
To answer your questions, the gasket material ranges from .8mm to 4mm thickness. I was told that you were sent a sample piece before Scott had bought the laser and were able to cut through without an issue. I don’t think this is the problem.
I had tried multiple focus distances, ranging from 1mm to approximately 25mm. The best results were around 6mm like you stated. Even at this distance I couldn’t get the power settings in the computer controller or the controller on the laser high enough to cut through.
I tried cutting a typical sheet of paper (.105mm thick) at a max power setting of 95%, cutting speed set to 70mm/s and focus length approximately 4-6mm using the computer controller to cut a simple circular pattern. All it did was burn the surface of the paper. I then tried using the controller on the laser but the same results. The only time I was able to “cut” through the paper was when I hit the “pulse” button on the laser and let it shine in one spot for a second or two. Attached is a quick video of the paper computer controlled test run.
There is one other issue that I’m concerned about which deals with the water chiller. I have the CW-5000 Series and it will not stop beeping. According to the manual there is no alarm enabled because there is no alarm code (example: E1,E2 E2, E4 or E5) that flashes on the display (Attached Picture shows the display). The beeping is 3 consecutive beeps and then repeats with the “D2” light flashing with each 3 beeps. The “D1” light is on meaning it is running the intelligent control mode.
At first I thought it was an alarm for the water being too cold. We had the air temperature around 6⁰C and the water temperature approximately the same. So we heated the room to a temperature of 20⁰C with the water originally at approximately 17⁰C. After using the laser periodically for 3 hours the water temperature rose to 25⁰C. The beeping still continued. I changed the upper and lower temperature limits to their respective max and min so that the actual water temperature would fall between these limits, but still no change with the beeping. Currently, I set all the parameters to case 1, as shown in the attached picture, in the advanced parameters adjustment mode with the exception of Code “F9” which is at 20 because the unit would not allow for any higher value.
It’s very strange, changing the power settings does not seem to change the performance of the cut. Any insight will be a great help solving this laser issue.
Thank You.
Thunder laser - Tom

HI Lester
That is ok for me
I even say sorry for all the problem.
Ok, for your problem 1:
Why the laser can't cut a typical sheet of paper through?
I think that this problem should not be caused by the focus has a problem
Ok, let us checking if there is a problem for the laser beam path
1. please check if the laser beam shorting the cone(the bottom of the laser head) of laser head while working
also you can put a sticker on the nozzle of laser head and draw a dot in the middle of table.
click this link to know how to draw a dot on the sticker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8Ro2vEEzY
please just seen that last step with this video
If this problem was caused by the laser beam path has a problem.
please according to the above link to adjust the laser beam path.
2. please checking all the lens or mirrors are cleaned?
If they are not so clean, please clean them.

For your problem 2:
The CW-5000 water chiller will not stop beeping, i guess that it is not caused by the temperature is too high
May be inside of the small water pump of water chiller that water pressure is not enough power for cooling the laser tube
So it causes the water chiller always beeping.
Could you please make a testing according to our video to check if there is no enough power for the water chiller.
Just click the following link to check it:
Check if the water chiller is running smoothly
http://youtu.be/kUTyFgbyOJ4
Then let me know how it works with the water chiller
Sorry, i will may not reply you in time
Because i will need to going to outside for visit a exhibition in shanghai China.
So i will may only reply you in evening tomorrow.
Have a good day
PS: please no used the laser to work at present, because of your water chiller has a problem
if the water chiller will not cooling the laser tube normally, the laser tube will be damaged
So please let's checking where is the problem with the water chiller, then solve the problem of water chiller
then you will can be continue to use the laser. ok?
This is very important for your laser. also if the water chiller can't cooling the laser tube that is very dangerous.
Tom
Lester Lio

Post by Lester Lio »

Hello Tom,
Yes I did the water chiller test you recommended. I had very good flow going through the tube, no issue there. Just as a side note, the laser tube is also filled and has good water flow through it.
I will not run the laser anymore to do the laser beam path test until I hear back from you.
Thunder laser - Tom

Lester
Thank you for your cooperation
So the water chiler is running smootly right now
It looks that temperature contrlol system is also OK
But it is still warning(beeping)?
We must be check it out where is the problem.
I will check it again by a manual and Then email you.
We can only resolve the water chiller that problem and then even can ready to resolve the laser beam problem later
I will be back tomorrow from shanghai
Have a nice day
Lester Lio

Post by Lester Lio »

Yes, when I was running the laser the chiller seemed to be working correctly. It just beeps with the alarm light on…

Okay, thanks for the help. Have fun in Shanghai!
Thunder laser - Tom

Hi Michael
if the water chiller just beeps with the alarm light is on, no a error code on the display
it is proved the water chiller that the water flow has a problem, but you told me that the water is running smoothly according to i sent you a video
so if the problem is caused by the water is not filled in the water chiller,
please see behind of water chiller that has a water level indicate position, please fill the water to a normal level or full.

Michael, we must be resolve the water problem firstly, then even running the laser
there must be a problem for the water chiller, if not, it will not beeps with the alarm light on
see the following picture that one of factors is the problem that causes the water chiller always beeps with red light on
laser-02.jpg
laser-02.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Lester Lio

Post by Lester Lio »

Tom,

Correct, there is no alarm code shown on the display. (E1, E2, E3….)

I have seen the same diagram in the manual myself. The water level is at the upper limit of the green section. I don’t think it’s a matter of water shortage. Yes, the water flow is good and strong. According to this table, “Flow alarm causes of circulating water and working state”, the only issue left is a faulted circulating pump. I don’t see how this is possible because it is pumping water through the system.

I can check the Alarm output ports with a voltage meter to confirm that the switch is connected to H1 and H2.

Would it be possible to be sending the wrong supply power into the unit? I will have to double check, we are running 110V at 60Hz into it, but I don’t recall what model we have. CW-5000 for sure, but is it a “AG, BG, DG, AI,BI, DI, AK, BK, DK”, I don’t know. It should be a DG, DI, or a DK according to the specifications in the manual.
Thunder laser - Tom

Hi Lester
I have a way to check where is the problem
Now we already know the water tempeture and circulating water are work fine
There are two factors may causes this problem

1. the water pipe or laser tube are blocked by something
2. the detect sensor has a problem that be used for detect the water pressure

Ok, for 1, please using a water pipe to connection the water chill that from inlet port to outlet port, let the water chiller runing and the circulating water is flow by itself, no need connnect to the laser.
Do you understand what i mean, see the attached picture as shown
Then running the water chiller to check if it will be work fine, no alarm indicator light and noise(beeps)

Looking forward to hear from you