Is it possible to add antifreeze to the chiller water?---20151130

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
Thunder laser - Tom

Is it possible to add antifreeze to the chiller water?---20151130

Post by Thunder laser - Tom »

Hi Tom,

Hope everything is going well for you.

My Mars 130 laser may be exposed to freezing conditions as it is placed in an unheated enclosed area. Temperatures in the past have gotten as low as 17F degrees.

I can disconnect the chiller and drain it with the drain plug in the bottom of it. If I disconnect the lines from the chiller to the laser tube will the water drain enough from the tube to prevent any chance of freezing?

Do you recommend adding anti-freeze to the chiller? If so, then I would not have to drain the water from the system. How much anti-freeze would you recommend adding to the chiller to prevent freezing?

I will need to make a decision on how to proceed soon. Please say hello to Amy for me and tell her I miss talking to her via Email!

Thanks for your help, be well and God Bless................Bill.

answer:
Hi Bill
If you had already drain the water from the chiller completely, the tube will not be damaged even if you are placed in an unheated enclose area for a short time.
Because of the laser tube is a kind of glass, so i do not know what happen while it is placed in an cold place(freeze temps) for a long time(1 week even 1 month)

We have never added antifreeze to the chiller water and also has not test it if it will have any effect of the laser or not
I think that if the antifreeze have not any viscosity for the laser tube and the water chiller, it will has not any effect of the laser with operation.
But one of our clients has a tested with add the antifreeze to the water chiller, he said that it is ok, it seems to has not any damage for the laser or chiller.
Usually, if the temps were anticipated to drop below freezing, we must move(detach) to the indoors.
There be a safety issue with best at present.
If you do a search on google, there is many discussions about antifreeze and which type to use. Basically you can use either (RV or Automobile), but most people recommend RV since its not as poisonous. If you use automobile antifreeze and have a leak it can be very dangerous to animals (dogs and cats).

Hope it will be help for you

Tom
ken.erickson

Re: Is it possible to add antifreeze to the chiller water?

Post by ken.erickson »

hello,
just wanted to give you some help. We added RV Antifreeze to our chiller. we have had no issues so far for the past few months. Do not add automotive antifreeze as some have properties to plug plug certain kinds of leaks and can plug up your coolant system if not changed frequently. RV antifreeze has some anti corrosion inhibitors so any metal parts wont corrode. If you drop well below freezing you may need to go 100% antifreeze. we mixed 30/70 distilled water. no issues so far for us.

Ken
Thunder laser - Tom

Re: Is it possible to add antifreeze to the chiller water?

Hi Ken
Thank you for your good suggestion and methods
It will helps the most of customers on how to add the RV antifreeze for their chiller
I have a question that is you mixed 30/70 distilled water.
You meant you mixed 30% RV antifreeze and 70% distilled water for the water chiller, right?
Thanks in advance

Tom
Thunder laser - Tom

Re: Is it possible to add antifreeze to the chiller water?---20151130

Hi Ken
Thank you for your good suggestion and methods
It will helps the most of customers on how to add the RV antifreeze for their chiller
I have a question that is you mixed 30/70 distilled water.
You meant you mixed 30% RV antifreeze and 70% distilled water for the water chiller, right?
Thanks in advance

Tom