Rotary Attachment does not turn

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
technosteve

Rotary Attachment does not turn

Post by technosteve »

I use my rotary attachment all the time for glass engraving on bottles. I tried using it last week, plugged it in just as I always do, and it does not spin.

I have verified with an electronics continuity meter that the connection is good from the motor connector all the way down to the white main controller. I also disassembled the connectors, and verified all solder connections are perfect.

Switch connection is good too.

I have verified that the motor controller is getting 36V and powers on correctly. I just can't get it to rotate, either with arrow keys on control panel, or by running an engraving file.

Please help, I have a customer who is waiting for his engraved bottles!

Best Regards,
Steve
Thunder laser - Tom

Re: Rotary Attachment does not turn

Post by Thunder laser - Tom »

Hi Steve
1. all the connector are good
2. connection also good too
3. 36V power input are good
4. what about the signal from the white main controller to the rotary motor? this is very important.
5. the main controller should be ok, because when the laser controls the y-axis to move, it works, right?
now you used the rotary attachment with plug it with the rotary plug, the rotary attachment is also connected with y-axis of controller, so it proved
signal control from controller is fine too
6. the issue was caused by the rotary motor is damaged now, but i think that you can try to connect it to x or y, z-axis of controller port to test if it is really failure now, it's really rarely failure.
technosteve

Post by technosteve »

1 - yes, verified by dissasembly
2- yes , verified with a multimeter
3- yes, verified with a multimeter
4- yes it is good, verified with oscilloscope
5- yes Y-axis moves
6 - I connected it to X-axis, and it did not work.

Today I made a new cable to run from white controller directly to the rotary motor, and it does not work.

I noticed that without power, rotary motor spins freely. When power is on, motor is resistant to turning, but still turns by hand. Normally, it would not move at all when it was working properly.

Can you send me a replacement motor?
Thunder laser - Tom

Post by Thunder laser - Tom »

Hi Steve
for point 6 to answer
If you connected it to x-axis by made a new cable to run from white controller directly
And it does not work, it proves the motor is fail
And yeah, you said right, when power is on, motor is resistant to running, we almost cannot move it by hand if it works fine
But now you still can turns it by hand, so it's proved that the motor should be damaged

Ok, i will send a relacement motor to you, please check your email to confirm the address

Sorry to brings many troubles to you