How to use the different size of nozzle of laser head--20161008

We provide online after sales support here, very quick reply.

Moderators: baker, Thunder laser - Tom, Thunder Laser -Nolan

Forum rules
All members should make themselves familiar with the forum rules. Please ensure you read this section of the forum BEFORE posting.
This sub-forum is only for thunderlaser users ask for tech support from thunderlaser tech persons directly. The normal member should raise your questions in the General Discussion sub-forum. Before ask a new question, please read the "Previously Asked Questions"first to save your time.
woodcraf

How to use the different size of nozzle of laser head--20161008

Post by woodcraf »

I have been having issues with my 130w Nova 35 being unable to make simple cuts (including through 4.5mm / 1/4" plywood).

The air assist briefly caught fire and I think this damaged the lens. There is a spot on the lens that I can’t clean off. See Photo #1.
Photo 1.JPG
Photo 1.JPG (880.41 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
If I am correct, this is the 4” head (this is the same head originally installed in the machine). I believe I was given a free replacement 4” head (Yumiko Yip can confirm).

I have attached another photo of the replacement parts I received (photo 2).
Photo 2.JPG
Photo 2.JPG (907.07 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
None of the spare parts have labels so I do not know what they are. In addition, the spare laser heads are all different then the original laser head. Part B on the photo is just an empty tube - there is no lens inside the tube.

Can you please tell me:
What each of the items in photo 2 are - items A, B, and C?
Which one do I need to replace the damaged lens in Photo 1?

Thank you
woodcraf

Re: Spot on 4" head lens reducing laser power

Post by woodcraf »

Ok - I know the answer to some of the questions.

Part A below is the high resolution head.
Parts B and C are two parts of the standard laser head (which for some reason came like this).

My new question is:
There is no lens in the standard laser head - why not? How can I use this laser head if there is no lens in it?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dan
This is Ben.
now i need to confirm something from you.
which type of laser head install your machine when you get them.
4''laser head or standard laser head.
i have seen you picture of testing from eamil. it look like the laser head id not focus on the material.
the 4'' laser head with 4'' focus lens and it's focus distance is 10mm
and standard laser head with 2'' focus lens and it's focus distance is 6mm.
and both of them have focus lens inside.
waiting for your kindly reply.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The NOZZLE shown at C is for engraving and cutting thin plastics, Part B is the standard head which accepts 50.2mm (2") focal length lens, the tube length can be 140mm to 165mm depending on the model. If you are cutting 1/4 wood then the standard head is better ( 2"Focal length)
the 4 inch focal is usually for thicker materials to "straighten " the kerf angle. to get a burn spot on the lens usually means the lens was dirty. the beam difracts on the film of dirt causing the overheating, if the lens is ckeaned properly and regularly this will not happen