Unknown Laser

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

jomac

Unknown Laser

Post by jomac »

Forgive me if i have posted a question that has been answered elsewhere, ive searched for answers and found nothing.

Ive recently acquired an industrial medical LED laser unit, quite large and fitted to a big heatsink with a Peltier heat pump for cooling. Ive practically no information on this unit apart from an esteemed guess from the colleague who is more experienced than me, the output is in the 800 uM region..

He estimates the output to be in the region of 25 to 30 watts, maybe slightly higher. The LED unit itself has no markings or hints as to who even makes the unit. The peltier heat sink ive identified, and the output from the laser unit is via a screw on fibre optic cable which has a manufacturer, model and serial number, otherwise very little else. With the laser unit appears to be an optical block assembly which he has marked, laser in and laser out. This 'block' is marked with the manufacturers logo CVI part number WD055 serial number 112 and nothing else. There appears to be 3 more ports with filters/lenses visible. Somewhere along the way came the suggestion that this block either allows the main beam to be visible, or allows a small secondary red laser to be mixed with the original for positioning. Two emails to the manufacturer of this 'block' for further information have gone unanswered.

I am unsure on a couple of things. He has run this laser from a power supply of around 3 volts, and the laser unit consumes 25 amps at this voltage. Is 3v a normal laser supply voltage, or is it nearer 3.2v the usual voltage for LED's?

Focusing the output. My only previous experience with power lasers has been with the 'all in one' units from China with just a simple focus lens mechanism. Im reading facts in different places that the preferred and best method to obtain the most efficient output, is to use a collimating lens first, then a focus lens after it. This i'm afraid is where my experience ends, how can you accurately adjust a beam that you cannot see?

I have a few questions apart from the above focusing query....

What is the usual voltage for an LED laser of this type?
Can a better idea of the laser power be obtained from current consumption and average efficiency of such laser diodes?
What would this multi port block be used for apart from either generating a visible spot, or combining the output from a visible laser for focusing etc.

I apologise if the questions are many, but i'm really stumpted as to which direction to go in next.

Thanks in advance.
I started out with absolutely nothing and have pretty much most of it left.
Thunder Laser -Nolan

Re: Unknown Laser

Post by Thunder Laser -Nolan »

How to adjust the laser beam path
phpBB [media]
Titpierslep

Unknown Laser

Post by Titpierslep »

Hi Ryo. It would be good if you can give us a feel of whats the price like for the laser cutting. Whats the requirement that you need in order to do the cutting?