Recycling extruded polystyrenet

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Emmettmr

Recycling extruded polystyrenet

Post by Emmettmr »

I am looking for a way to recycle XPS (extruded polystyrene) or basically Dow blueboard. I cut this on our router and have about 20 cubic yards of this finely shredded material every couple months. I have found places that will take EPS, and I have contacted the XPS association as well as Dow themselves. No great suggestions as of yet. I have also found $20k extruders that will put this back into a solid form, but the idea of spending that much for a scrap issue dosent seem very cost effective.
Open to any ideas or suggestions.
Leslie_Isa

Re: Recycling extruded polystyrenet

Post by Leslie_Isa »

Your; "Open to any ideas or suggestions."{ has been sitting there totally ignored for several hours and I am feeling less than entirely serious so here is an idea.

Start a subsidiary business making hypo-allergenic polystyrene stuffed pillows
Boyd_Barnell

Post by Boyd_Barnell »

Now, Now Geof - that might be close to a really good idea!
Shredded cellulose is used as a blown in insulation. For all the original purpose of XPS - and now its shredded - 20 cubic yds every few months could make for a nice pile of attic/wall fill.
Making chips - I wonder if dow might have some details on using xps in that form rather than used additional energy to reform into solid.
Dino_Sladick

Post by Dino_Sladick »

I think I have seen that guy!! It is crazy what they will load on a bike over there.
I will call the Michigan polymer reclaim this week if I get a chance.

Jim, this stuff would probably make great attic insulation accept for one problem. Any air current at all and you have a blue duststorm. It blows all over the place, and is static charged. It would be great to make something from this, but this is scrap, I dont make (or want to) more just to make something else.

Keep the suggestions coming!