New Thunder laser Nova24-60W

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

gene8522

New Thunder laser Nova24-60W

Post by gene8522 »

I just bought this Nova24-60W two weeks ago and I am already so frustrated with it I could take a BIG hammer to it :oops:
When I first brought it home it worked just fine. Then it started acting strange. Sometimes when I would turn the power on the X & Y would reset, like normal, but the next time I would use the machine and power up, the X axes would not reset and the X would not move at all. Y axes works fine. As a couple of days went by this problem has gotten worse. I sent an email the the factory tech. He said to check the X axes limit switch and wiring. I had already checked these but what hell check everything again. Now this morning the X axes will not reset at all! And the Nova24 will not run a program file like it should. The Y axes will run but not the X axes. Funny thing is if I use the arrow to jog the X axes the control panel shows the axes is moving. I have looked at everything I can think of to look at, limit switch, wiring, controllers. The diagnosis screen "red box" shows the X limit switch is functioning as it should.
One more thing Nova24 was sold as a 60 watt laser tube but what I have found out from the factory tech, it is only putting out 40 watts of power.
Ben

Re: New Thunder laser Nova24-60W

Post by Ben »

Hi Gene,
Sorry again for your trouble.
1.About the X axis is acting strange,X&Y would reset each time when turn on machine,which to correct the coordinate on LCD panel.
As your machine is NOVA24,so the laser head will travle correctly within (0,0) to (600,400).
If the X axis wont reset and X axis will not move left and right,so it's not the X limit switch problem(X axis just cannot move to left).
As you know,the X aixs is controlled by the X motor->X dirver(first blue one near to the controller)->Controller.
Please do a test with me,turn on your laser and after resetting control left or right arrow to change the X axis coordinate on LCD panel even the laser head actually stays the same place.
Scenario 1:
Go to X driver,you can see it got two color LED(Gleen and red) and general only Gleen LED light up,if switch to red one and blink,which proves the controller send the signal already but the driver and motor take no action,in this case,more likely the wiring is loose between driver and motor,please reconnect them again as following pic:
1.png
1.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 6907 times
2.png
2.png (983.86 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
Scenario 2:
Go to X driver again,you can see it shows normal,Gleen light always,which means there's no signal come to X driver.in this case,please check the wiring between Controller and driver,like below:
3.png
3.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 6907 times
2.You are experiencing a general loss of power,please clean all the mirror and lens then check the mirror alignment as following link:
http://www.thunderlaser.com/how-to-use- ... -path.html
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

I checked all the wires on the connectors that you showed. Everything is tight. But the green & red lights on the X driver are not right. I have a green light on all the time, the "RED" light is flashing 7 seven flashes. I'm sure that is an error code but what. When I power on the machine the X moves to the left an hits the stop and makes a chattering nose and the red light starts to flash.
Gene
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Gene,

Yes,sorry for my mistake.the green light will be on all the time,and if the RED light is flashing 7 seven flashes which is an error code.
So the problem is caused by the X driver or X motor.
make another test with me.
please exchange X driver with Y driver, see if the light is still red.
4.png
4.png (337.32 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
After replacing, if it turns to the Y axis doesn’t work; it proves that the problem is caused from the X driver.
If the red light turns to Y driver, so the X motor should be bad.
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

Ben and I did a skype last night. Changing the wires on the X & Y drivers we determined that the problem is being caused by the X - axes hybrid servo motor. :?: I'm hoping ..... Ben said that he will send me a new motor to replace the one that is bad. If this fixes my problem I will post the findings here. I hopo the servo gets here quick, I need the laser working, like yesterday.
Gene
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

UP DATE: Monday the tech informed me that he forgot to send the motor, but would send it. I ask for a tracking number but he never answered my request. Do you think he forgot again or just doesn't give a damn. I have lost 8 to 10 days production because of a bad motor already, now to find out that they forgot to send the motor as promised. WOW!!! :evil: :o :o
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Gene,

This is Ben.
I sent the servo motor to you on monday.
But the DHL chinese have a holiday during Dragon Boat Festival.
I asked them again for the tracking number early today.
We will send the tracking number to you when we get it.
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

Ben,
Thank for sending motor.
Gene
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

Ben,
This is the laser tube that is in my Nova24. I do not see a model number on it anywhere.
Gene
Attachments
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG (963.59 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG (670.13 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
gene8522

Post by gene8522 »

UPDATE:
I would like to update everyone on this problem with Thunder Laser tech support. Ben had forgotten to send me the replacement motor. I am also guilty of forgetting sometimes. Well that has been taken care of .I received a text message from DHL this morning, they have a delivery for me to be delivered June 2nd (tomorrow). WOW that was quick. Also I told Thunder Laser that I had been told that this Nova24 had a 60 watt laser tube installed in it. And after I had the machine home and did some testing I found that the tube is only a 40 watt. I am sure it was no ones fault just a misunderstanding or miscommunication. I had ask Nolan at Thunder Laser if he would send me an upgrade to the 60 watt laser tube at a reduced price? In response to this Thunder Laser has sent me, at no cost, a new 60 watt laser tube and power supply. The tube and power supply should be here June 20. This is what I call outstanding customer service. So after this problem, would I recommend the Thunder Laser? Absolutely I would. I like the way this machine is put together it looks like high quality workmanship and materials. The Thunder Laser is more money that the cheep-o laser that I have seen on ebay. But with customer service like this it is hard to compare them.
Gene