Laser Beam Pattern

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

brianmichalk

Laser Beam Pattern

Post by brianmichalk »

I purchased a 100W GWeike machine about a year ago. The machine had been running great up until this winter when the water froze in the laser tube, breaking it. I did not notice this until after I tried to make a cut. So, the power supply was trying to push current through water, and I'm not sure if that damaged the supply.
So, I ordered another RECI S2 from Amazon, and checked authenticity to be good. I've been using it, and its performance was never as good as the previous tube, but last week, the power really dropped to the point that I can't use it effectively. The ammeter is showing 18-20mA, and turning the potentiometer on the power supply doesn't seem to be having any effect.
I have aligned, and checked everything. Here is a picture of the pattern out of the tube before any mirrors.
laser pattern
laser pattern
IMG_20180403_143926.jpg (271.26 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
Two weeks ago, I was able to cut 1/4" plywood at 10mm/s. Today I can't get a full cut at 2mm/s.
I'm trying to determine if this is a power supply problem, or a tube problem. Any thoughts?
Brandon_Liew

Re: Laser Beam Pattern

Post by Brandon_Liew »

Do you have a power tester?I think the laser beam no so good.Best laser beam is a solid circle not target
brianmichalk

Post by brianmichalk »

I do not have a power tester, but I know it's way down. I could only cut .220 acrylic at 3mm/s today.
I have ordered another power supply, and if that doesn't solve the problem, then its the tube.
laserbell

Post by laserbell »

Contact RECI laser directly and ask them the question, showing them your results. I ran into a similar problem and had the same unusual mode, then contacted RECI. They told me that when the internal gas is consumed, then you will see an unusual raw beam pattern like you show, rather than the cone/gaussian shape that is typical.
laserbell

Post by laserbell »

If you determined that the laser failed prior to the end of the warranty period, then you can take a video and send it to RECI. You can examine the electrodes on the ends for discoloration (that typically happens when the power supply is adjusted too high, and voids your warranty). If you want to see how to adjust the power supply and measure it, go to instructables dot com and search chinese laser power supply setting (or something like that) and see a step-by-step way to do it. The main idea is that you do not want to prematurely consume the laser gas and have to frequently buy laser tubes. So, ask the manufacturer for the milliamp max setting then adjust to it, to keep the warranty, and your tube running for the standard lifetime. You can measure output power with something like the Mahoney 200 watt power probe.
brianmichalk

Post by brianmichalk »

When I bought the laser, it came with very little documentation, and some extra parts in a tool box. After looking at some videos, I recognized the big resistor used for testing the power supply (along with the bypass plug for 100% power). So, I ran the test, and the supply is pushing 30mA. I'm pretty sure it's the tube.
I've got maybe 10 hours on this tube, running it at 24mA, and the machine is placarded for 28mA max, so I think I'm good as far as overcurrent on the tube.

It's a Reci tube, but I've been going through the company I bought it from. Should I be talking directly to Reci instead?

I've been reading some good things about EFR tubes from BJEFR, but those posts were a few years old. Should I stay with Reci, or switch to an EFR tube? Cost is similar, and I'd sure like to get a higher wattage tube.

I hope to resolve this soon. I'm cutting everything at 1mm/s now just to keep a few things going.