1st attempt at Laser Engraving - and I need some expert advice!

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

tstaple1

1st attempt at Laser Engraving - and I need some expert advice!

Post by tstaple1 »

1st-time laser-er here!

Long story short...my department purchased a Laser cutter a year ago and it has remained idle ever since it was unpacked. I was recently tasked with getting to know the laser cutter and have exhausted the training materials provided online. I am comfortable with getting the machine and laser prepped and aligned. What I am not quite sure about is getting the design right.

I decided to use it as an opportunity to make a few Christmas gifts for family. I want to engrave a recipe on a cutting board (not just outline of the text) and I have another project that includes text and an image.

Is anyone willing to help me walk through some of those steps? I have the two files already prepared and from what I read, I rasterized the image and the text for both projects because I want the text engraved and not only outlined. Please DM if you're able to look over the files (both are AI files) and let me know if I am heading in the right direction!

Thanks!
Tokes

Re: 1st attempt at Laser Engraving - and I need some expert advice!

Post by Tokes »

I know this is late and you may have figured this out, but you are headed in the right direction. The rasterized image should just look like a filled in image and that will be engraved. For the other one with the image, you'll have to convert that to a bitmap. Whatever design software you are using for the laser should have that option as well. Also, depending on the material you are using, you may want to use blue painter's tape and mask off the area to be engraved to avoid smoke on the surface. Hope any of this helps. I'm new to this forum but have been a laser operator for 7 years. Looking to get my own personal machine so browsing forums and whatnot. This one seems like an ad for that chines laser company these people keep talking about...