QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

Jed Jitsu

QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

Post by Jed Jitsu »

Good day all

I'm cutting cast acrylic and noticing that without placing a substrate under the material, the laser cuts through the material, bounces off of the metal screen and creates a small cut in the underside of my parts. This is unacceptable, so we have been experimenting with placing a substrate underneath of the material when cutting.
We have tried using particle board (masonite), but that produces a burned shadow on the bottom. We have also tried using pieces of acrylic plastic, but the material proceeds to melt to the bottom, creating an issue for removing parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a material that won't burn, yet will allow the parts to not melt or stick to it when cutting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Tosho82

Re: QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

Post by Tosho82 »

Hello,
I'm not professional but am working on laser cutters. It would be good if you show some pictures what is happening and say what kind of laser you are using.
I am working with abs plastic and acrylic and right now looking here on forum for help with cutting metal.
Just tried on new machine to cut acrylic and abs plastic and it went without any problems.

regards