What setting do you use to laser cut acrylic?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Felarca

What setting do you use to laser cut acrylic?

Post by Felarca »

I am Felarca from Texas. I just bought an acrylic laser cutting machine. I am still a beginner. Can you tell me how to start my project? First of all, thank you.
Ben

Re: What setting do you use to laser cut acrylic?

Post by Ben »

Whether you're a hobbyist or a professional, if you're looking to create high-quality and intricate designs on acrylic, then look no further than Thunderlaser's informative article on acrylic for laser cutting and engraving. With clear explanations and useful tips, this article provides a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about working with acrylic, from choosing the right type to preparing your files and operating your laser cutter. As someone who has used acrylic extensively in their own projects, Thunderlaser's brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the table, making this article a must-read for anyone looking to master this versatile material. I highly recommend it.
https://www.thunderlaser.com/laser-engr ... ls/acrylic
Andrewkl

Post by Andrewkl »

Ben wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:39 am Whether you're a hobbyist or a professional, if you're looking to create high-quality and intricate designs on acrylic, then look no further than Thunderlaser's informative article on acrylic for laser cutting and engraving. With clear explanations and useful tips, this article provides a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about working with acrylic, from choosing the right type to preparing your files and operating your laser cutter. As someone who has used acrylic extensively in their own projects, Thunderlaser's brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the table, making this article a must-read for anyone looking to master this versatile material. I highly recommend it.
https://www.thunderlaser.com/laser-engr ... ls/acrylic
Great, that's all I wanted. It was very helpful for my initial acrylic industry. Thank you!
Ben

Post by Ben »

You are welcome!
Bellapah

Post by Bellapah »

I have a qusetion, How to get soomth edge?
[url=http://educationusa.cf/it-is-not-easy-to-keep-the-attention-of-25-high-school-students-for-over-an-hour-but-that-is-just-what-congresswoman-martha-mcsally-did-last-week]http://educationusa.cf/it-is-not-easy-to-keep-the-attention-of-25-high-school-students-for-over-an-hour-but-that-is-just-what-congresswoman-martha-mcsally-did-last-week[/url]
hangrex5

Re:I have a qusetion, How to get soomth edge?

Post by hangrex5 »

To achieve a smooth edge when using laser cutting acrylic, you can follow these steps:
1. Use a high-quality laser cutter with a properly focused beam.
2. Adjust the laser power and cutting speed settings to optimize the cutting process.
3. Ensure the acrylic sheet is securely held to prevent vibrations.
4. Consider using a laser cutting bed with a honeycomb or pin table to support the material during cutting.
5. Apply masking tape on both sides of the acrylic sheet to reduce heat marks.
6. Use compressed air or an air assist system to blow away any debris during the cutting process.
7. Allow the acrylic to cool down before handling it to prevent warping or damage.
8. If necessary, lightly sand the edges with fine-grit sandpaper to further smoothen them.
Remember to always follow safety guidelines and refer to the laser cutter's user manual for specific instructions.
hangrex5

Post by hangrex5 »

Hey there!

When it comes to laser cutting acrylic, the appropriate settings can vary depending on factors such as the thickness and type of acrylic, as well as the specific laser machine you're using. However, I can provide you with some general guidelines that can help you get started.

1. Power: The power setting determines the intensity of the laser beam. For acrylic, it's typically recommended to use a medium power setting, usually around 60% to 80% of the laser's maximum power. Adjust the power based on the thickness of the acrylic and the desired cutting speed.

2. Speed: The cutting speed influences the rate at which the laser moves across the acrylic. Again, the ideal speed can differ based on the acrylic thickness and the laser machine. As a starting point, try a moderate cutting speed, such as 10 to 20 mm/s. You can adjust it accordingly to achieve the desired cutting quality.

3. Focus: Ensuring the laser is properly focused is crucial for obtaining clean cuts. Follow the instructions provided by the laser machine manufacturer to achieve the optimal focal length. Typically, a focal length of around 2-3 mm works well for acrylic cutting.

4. Assist Gas: The use of assist gas, such as compressed air or nitrogen, can help improve the cutting process by clearing away debris and preventing heat buildup. Ensure proper ventilation and safety precautions when working with assist gases.

Remember, these are general settings, and it's essential to conduct test cuts on a small sample piece before moving on to your final project. This allows you to fine-tune the settings and ensure the best results for your specific requirements.

Also, remember that laser-cutting acrylic can produce fumes and potentially release toxic gases. Ensure you're working in a well-ventilated area or employ a fume extraction system to maintain a safe working environment.

If you're using a specific laser machine model, it's always beneficial to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for cutting acrylic. They often provide detailed instructions and recommended settings tailored to their equipment.

Happy laser cutting and I hope your acrylic projects turn out amazing!

Best regards,
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

Sure, Felarca! To start your project with your new acrylic laser cutting machine, begin by familiarizing yourself with the machine's user manual and safety guidelines. Prepare your design using design software, ensuring it's compatible with the laser cutter. Choose the appropriate acrylic sheet and securely set it up on the cutting bed. Test the machine with a small scrap piece to ensure proper calibration and settings. Once satisfied, proceed with cutting and engraving your design onto the acrylic sheet. Finally, clean up the finished pieces and enjoy your project! If you're in search of a reliable laser cutting machine, consider the Monport laser for its quality, ease of use, and affordability. Check out their products on https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3 Happy crafting!