Laser Engrave Chrome Electroplated Material

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

TheGinAddict

Laser Engrave Chrome Electroplated Material

Post by TheGinAddict »

G'day,

Just wondering if anybody has ever laser engraved any chrome electroplated material, and if you have any tips? I'm just a little skeptical about engraving a reflective surface and worried that I may somehow destroy my laser. I have just bought a Two Trees TTS-55 40W Laser Engraver. The manufacturer states to run the laser through once at 100% power and at a 300mm a minute speed for elctroplated material. Do I need to do any pre-coating before I start to engrave? Please find photo attached.

Any help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sam.
Melbourne, Australia.
Attachments
20230925_182135.jpg
20230925_182135.jpg (202.43 KiB) Viewed 32229 times
PaulMott

Re: Laser Engrave Chrome Electroplated Material

Post by PaulMott »

Hi Sam,

I think you are right about engraving reflective surfaces and possible laser damage.
It may be prudent to tilt your laser head by a couple of degrees to reduce the risk of reflected photons re-entering the optical system and possibly overloading the semiconductor resonator area.

Just a thought.

Paul.
hangrex5

Re: Laser Engrave Chrome Electroplated Material

Post by hangrex5 »

Engraving on chrome electroplated material is possible, but it comes with some considerations. Your Two Trees TTS-55 40W Laser Engraver is a capable tool. Following the manufacturer's guidance is a good start – running the laser at 100% power and 300mm/minute speed aligns with their recommendations for electroplated materials.

Tips:

Reflective Surface: Yes, laser engraving reflective surfaces requires careful calibration to prevent damage. Ensure your laser settings are precise.

Pre-Coating: While some materials benefit from pre-coating, it's advisable to test on a small area first. A thin layer of spray-on coating can sometimes improve results.

Safety First: Chrome plating can release fumes when lasered. Ensure proper ventilation and use safety gear to protect yourself.

Experiment: Before working on a significant project, experiment with various settings on scrap material to find the optimal balance of power and speed.

Considering the reflective nature of chrome, it's a good idea to use a laser marking machine equipped for such applications. The technology in laser marking machines, like Heatsign, often includes features specifically designed for handling challenging surfaces. This ensures both safety and precision in your engraving endeavors.