Engraving hollow objects

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

ash966

Engraving hollow objects

Post by ash966 »

Hello, my name is Andrea and I'm the coordinator of the Innovation Lab makerspace at the Saint Paul Public Library, St. Paul, MN.
We've been open since 2016 and I've used and taught our ULS VLS3.50 since then. Weirdly, I had this question pop up twice after never coming up before.

Lab members were engraving boxes and tried to do thickness of the material rather than height of the box. The laser ended up moving on its own to the height of the object. So, it looks like you must use height rather than thickness for hollow objects, at least on the ULS VLS3.50.
The Lab members questioned whether that would make the engraving too deep. One of them had an issue where the laser burned too deep, the other did not (so that might be a coincidence). I didn’t have any issue trying it myself.
So, is there any issue or mitigation that needs to happen when engraving a hollow object?

This message has been cross-posted to other laser engraving forums.

Thanks, Andrea
hangrex5

Re: Engraving hollow objects

Post by hangrex5 »

Engraving hollow objects can be a bit tricky, but with the right tools and techniques, it's definitely achievable! Consider using a rotary engraving tool for intricate designs, and make sure to secure the object properly to prevent any movement. Patience is key; take your time to achieve precise and beautiful results.
ash966

Post by ash966 »

Thanks!

ASH
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

It's great to hear about your work at the Innovation Lab makerspace! When engraving hollow objects with the ULS VLS3.50 laser, it's essential to consider the height rather than the thickness of the material to ensure accurate engraving. Using the height measurement prevents the laser from inadvertently moving to the height of the object, as experienced by some Lab members. While engraving depth can vary based on factors like material composition and laser settings, it's essential to conduct tests to determine the optimal settings for each project. If some members experienced issues with engraving depth, it may be helpful to adjust laser settings or conduct additional test runs to mitigate any potential issues. Overall, being mindful of height measurements and conducting thorough testing can help achieve consistent and desired engraving results on hollow objects. Additionally, considering Monport lasers could offer you ease of use, high quality, and affordability for your laser engraving needs. You can explore their laser products https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3