Ruida Controller fault. Any advice on fixing it?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

truromark

Ruida Controller fault. Any advice on fixing it?

Post by truromark »

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

My name's Mark, I'm a qualified mechanical engineer and currently work in audio-visual installation. Having recently inherited two 2016 Bodor Piranha machines from a friend who sadly passed away, I'm getting to know my way around laser cutting and engraving. One of my machines works great but the other identical machine (which has probably not been fired up in nearly 3 years) is showing a problem:

When power is switched on, the power light flashes, and nothing functions. I've traced the fault to the Ruida RDC6442S controller (the base unit not the control panel). When the controller is supplied with 24V, LED 15 (+5V) is flashing, even with all of the external connections removed and nothing I've tried seems to be able to stop this happening. I assume this is caused by a component failure on the board - I can't see any burnt components or anything, but don't have the expertise to test at board level.

I'm considering swapping the controllers to see if it works in the other machine, but a bit hesitant to do it as I'm worried that a fault in the machine may fry the working controller, or a fault in the controller may fry the other machine!

So - has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I've missed in my fault finding?
Is there a hardware reset that may fix this (unlikely I think)
is there anyone out there that has the necessary expertise and can fix the controller?
is there a good source of a replacement controller?

Thanks In Advance
Mark
jgarciaa

Re: Ruida Controller fault. Any advice on fixing it?

Post by jgarciaa »

Given your situation, it sounds like you're facing a challenging issue with your Bodor Piranha laser machine's Ruida RDC6442S controller. While swapping controllers between machines could be a potential solution, it's understandable to have concerns about causing further damage. Considering your mechanical engineering background, you may want to first attempt a thorough inspection of the controller board for any visible signs of damage or loose connections. If you're unable to identify the problem or lack the expertise to perform board-level testing, seeking assistance from a qualified technician or contacting Bodor's customer support for guidance on troubleshooting and potential replacements would be advisable. In the meantime, considering Monport laser machines could be beneficial, given their reputation for reliability, ease of use, and affordability. They might offer a suitable alternative or complement to your existing setup. Check out Monport laser products at https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3 for options that meet your needs.