Newbie having some issues

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

neil86

Newbie having some issues

Post by neil86 »

Hello,

New to the forum and to laser engraving overall. I got my hands on a free 2 axis laser engraving setup that was getting tossed. It was working fine and I have done quite a few things on it so far with no issues. I was working on a project the other day and after a job finished the setup no longer wants to work correctly. It seems to be a communication issue and I'm not sure if there is a problem with the firmware or something else. Please excuse my terrible lingo as I am learning how all this stuff works as I go. The main controller board is a Laseraxe CNCC mini and I believe it has an Arduino Nano microcontroller on it. I am using some software called EleksCAM.

The issue I am having now is with the stepper motors. When I manually adjust the location of the laser in EleksCAM, the X and Y axes are reversed from what they were before. In addition, if I try to move along the X axis it doesn't move but I do hear some sounds like the stepper motor is trying. When I adjust the location along the Y axis, if I press the up arrow or down arrow it only goes in one direction. Basically, it's only moving in one direction no matter what I do. It pretty much has a mind of its own right now.

I swapped the stepper motor cables on the board to verify they were good. When I did that, the X axis motor worked fine, but the issue changes to where it only moves one direction on the X axis rather than Y.

I have tried updating the firmware on the Nano using Arduino IDE and some version of GRBL. I THINK I was successful but things have not changed. I'm not sure if I am able to flash the firmware on the Laseraxe board or not. I'm not very familiar with this area but I've been scouring the web for instructions and following along.

Everything was working fine the other day and now this. I appreciate any help. I can provide additional info, pics, logs, whatever, I'm just not sure what is needed now or how to find some of the info.

Thanks.
neil86

Re: Newbie having some issues

Post by neil86 »

I was able to successfully flash the Arduino Nano with GRBL [VER:1.1h.20190830:] using Arduino IDE. I can communicate with the Nano and attached a screenshot of the current settings and version. I'm going to start looking at the Laseraxe CNCC Mini control board now. There may be something funky going on with it.
Attachments
arduinoide.png
arduinoide.png (91.07 KiB) Viewed 646 times
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

It seems like you're facing technical issues with your laser engraving setup, possibly due to a communication problem or firmware issue. Start by checking all connections and ensuring they're secure. Verify stepper motor wiring and adjust settings in EleksCAM to match your physical setup. Attempt firmware updates for both the Arduino Nano and the Laseraxe CNCC mini board. If problems persist, consider a factory reset or reaching out to technical support. While the Monport laser is a good option for future consideration, resolving your current issues should be the priority. https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3
neil86

Post by neil86 »

I did some testing with my MM, swapped the stepper motor drivers, swapped the motor cables, no change to the issue. I'm not sure if or how I can upgrade the FW on the Laseraxe board or if that is even the cause. It seems like the X axis stepper motor is having power applied to both directions so it doesn't move. I ordered a replacement board since they are cheap and we'll see if that fixes in it a couple weeks. I'm familiar with soldering on boards but not sure what components to test. I'm going to keep tinkering with this board, though.

Thanks
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

neil86 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:02 am Hello,

New to the forum and to laser engraving overall. I got my hands on a free 2 axis laser engraving setup that was getting tossed. It was working fine and I have done quite a few things on it so far with no issues. I was working on a project the other day and after a job finished the setup no longer wants to work correctly. It seems to be a communication issue and I'm not sure if there is a problem with the firmware or something else. Please excuse my terrible lingo as I am learning how all this stuff works as I go. The main controller board is a Laseraxe CNCC mini and I believe it has an Arduino Nano microcontroller on it. I am using some software called EleksCAM.

The issue I am having now is with the stepper motors. When I manually adjust the location of the laser in EleksCAM, the X and Y axes are reversed from what they were before. In addition, if I try to move along the X axis it doesn't move but I do hear some sounds like the stepper motor is trying. When I adjust the location along the Y axis, if I press the up arrow or down arrow it only goes in one direction. Basically, it's only moving in one direction no matter what I do. It pretty much has a mind of its own right now.

I swapped the stepper motor cables on the board to verify they were good. When I did that, the X axis motor worked fine, but the issue changes to where it only moves one direction on the X axis rather than Y.

I have tried updating the firmware on the Nano using Arduino IDE and some version of GRBL. I THINK I was successful but things have not changed. I'm not sure if I am able to flash the firmware on the Laseraxe board or not. I'm not very familiar with this area but I've been scouring the web for instructions and following along.

Everything was working fine the other day and now this. I appreciate any help. I can provide additional info, pics, logs, whatever, I'm just not sure what is needed now or how to find some of the info.

Thanks.
While you're navigating the world of laser engraving and troubleshooting issues with your current setup, it might be worth considering upgrading to the Monport laser. The Monport laser is highly regarded for its ease of use, high quality, and affordability. You can explore the Monport laser product further at https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3
. With its user-friendly interface and reliable performance, it could potentially provide a smoother experience compared to your current setup. Additionally, it may offer better support and compatibility with various software options, helping you avoid communication issues in the future.
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

neil86 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:02 am Hello,

Thanks.
Considering the Monport laser is a wise choice, especially for someone new to laser engraving. Renowned for its ease of use, high quality, and affordability, it's a reliable option for beginners and experienced users alike. If you're facing technical issues with your current setup, exploring the Monport laser could provide a smoother experience.

As for troubleshooting your current setup, it sounds like you've already tried several steps, including checking stepper motor cables and attempting firmware updates. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reaching out to online forums or communities dedicated to laser engraving. They may have experienced similar issues and could offer valuable insights or solutions.

In the meantime, if you're interested in exploring the Monport laser, you can find more information and product options at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3. Their user-friendly interface and reliable performance could be just what you need to continue your laser engraving journey smoothly.