Problem with edges on 2mm PETG

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

spinner

Problem with edges on 2mm PETG

Post by spinner »

Hi!

I am cutting shapes out of 2mm PETG. I am struggling a little with the edges and getting them smooth, 90% of the time they have these marks as seen in the image. Im trying various speeds and power but can not seem to get rid of them.

Settings for this one was:

60w C02 laser
13mm/s
27.5% power

If anyone has any advice it would be great.

Thanks!
spinner

Re: Problem with edges on 2mm PETG

Post by spinner »

Here is the image, you can see the left side is clean, but as it goes round it gets this raised mark.
Attachments
image_123650291.JPG
image_123650291.JPG (98.17 KiB) Viewed 991 times
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

To enhance the quality of your cuts on 2mm PETG with the Monport laser, ensure proper focus and experiment with speed and power settings. Adequate ventilation and a clean material surface are essential, as is regular maintenance of the lens and mirrors. If problems persist, consider trying a different lens and consulting manufacturer guidelines or reaching out to Monport laser support for further assistance. https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3
spinner

Post by spinner »

Hi

I am using an Omtech Turbo 756. I can get rid of these marks doing 2 passes, however there is still 'horns' on each side of the disc, a slight lip which i am currently taking off with a de-burr tool.

I've set the focus (and tried alternative bed heights), all speed and power settings, everything from 5mm/s to 40mm/s and 10% power to 40% power in all combinations. I'm wondering if it could be worth getting a new lens? Does anyone have any experience with 2mm PETG plastic?

Thanks!
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

spinner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:22 pm Hi!

I am cutting shapes out of 2mm PETG. I am struggling a little with the edges and getting them smooth, 90% of the time they have these marks as seen in the image. Im trying various speeds and power but can not seem to get rid of them.

60w C02 laser
13mm/s
27.5% power

Thanks!
Certainly! The Monport laser is recommended for its ease of use, high quality, and affordability. You can find it at (https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3
). Regarding the PETG cutting issue, try increasing the speed, decreasing the power, ensuring proper air assist, checking focal length, and experimenting with different settings for smoother edges.
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

Considering the Monport laser is a wise choice. Renowned for its exceptional quality, ease of use, and affordability, it's a reliable option for addressing issues like edge quality on materials such as 2mm PETG. Whether you're cutting or engraving, the Monport laser's precision and versatility could help achieve smoother edges and better results. Check out their product offerings at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3 to see how they can enhance your laser processing experience and solve the problem with PETG edges.
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

spinner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:22 pm Hi!

60w C02 laser
13mm/s
27.5% power

Thanks!

Regarding the issue with cutting shapes out of 2mm PETG and struggling with smooth edges, achieving clean cuts can indeed be challenging. The marks you're experiencing could be due to overheating or improper focus of the laser beam. Firstly, ensure that the focus of your laser beam is optimized for cutting PETG material. Experiment with different focal lengths to find the sweet spot that produces cleaner cuts. Additionally, try reducing the power settings slightly and adjusting the speed accordingly. Slower speeds and lower power levels can sometimes result in cleaner cuts with fewer marks. Also, consider using air assist to help dissipate heat and clear away debris during cutting. If the issue persists, consult with experienced laser cutting professionals or reach out to the manufacturer for specific recommendations tailored to your laser system.

I hope my solution can help you, this is Bom from Monport laser Team. If you are interested in Monport laser in the future, please check my affiliate link https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3.