How to maintain my new 50w laser?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Rachel.Yi

How to maintain my new 50w laser?

Post by Rachel.Yi »

I am Rachel and I live in Kent, England with my partner Lum & our two girls and one dog, Becky. Lum works full time as a gardener & I stay home with the girls, while running our small business The Wooden Laser from our garden outbuilding. We recently bought a 50w laser engraving machine from Omtech, and this laser engraving machine meets our most needs. It can cut up to 6mm through plywood or acrylic. And its intuitive control panel and bundled Windows-compatible editions of RDWorks v8 and CorelLaser enable us recreate the most intricate designs. The spacious 300x500 mm (12x20 in.) workbed provides 1.6 square feet of room, which makes a large range of sizes of crafts available in our little workshop. We love it but now we’re facing a tricky problem, I would like to ask you guys for advice since you’re the most professional laser researcher. Any tips for proper maintenance? How do I maintain my machine so that it can work at maximum efficiency while maintaining a high level of intensity? This machine provides a one-year warranty, but always replacing or repairing parts will also increase the cost. And what’s more, how and when should I clean my Helix?
Thank you guys for answering my doubts in advance, hope you a wonderful life!
justin_h

Re: How to maintain my new 50w laser?

Post by justin_h »

I used to favor omtech, but my machine's malfunction and the unresponsiveness of customer service led me to switch to a more affordable brand. Monport is the clear winner. Omtech disappointed me one too many times.
PaulMott

Post by PaulMott »

I think the main criterion is to keep the machine clean, and not cut / engrave anything containing PVC.
Periodically, visually inspect the machine parts for wear and check that nothing has become loose during use.
If anything (ball bearing linear rails, ballscrews, etc) needs lubrication then keep any lubricant to the absolute minimum required (excess lubricant will attract particles produced during the laser process and this may impede motion).
The most important parts to keep clean are the mirrors and the focus lens. Cleaning these parts is a delicate operation. I use Isopropyl Alcohol and a disposable lens cloth and also wear surgical gloves. Keep in mind that the mirrors are front surface and that the lens is AR coated so take upmost care. If the focus lens is removed to clean then ensure that it is refitted facing the correct way (convex surface towards the laser source) and don’t touch any optical surfaces with fingers.
Basic things like water coolant levels, security of exhaust extraction ducting, etc. should also be checked regularly.
That’s about it really – good fortune with the laser addition to your business venture.

Paul.
hangrex5

Post by hangrex5 »

Hello Rachel, it’s great to hear that you are enjoying your new 50w laser engraving machine from Omtech. Here are some tips for maintaining your machine:

Clean the lens and mirrors regularly: Dirt and debris can accumulate on the lens and mirrors, which can reduce the quality of the laser beam and affect the accuracy of your cuts. Use a soft, lint-free cloth and isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens and mirrors. Be gentle and avoid touching the lens or mirrors with your fingers.

Check the water cooling system: The laser tube generates a lot of heat, so it’s important to keep the water cooling system in good condition. Check the water level regularly and replace the water every 3-6 months. You can also add a few drops of chlorine bleach to the water to prevent algae growth.

Keep the machine clean: Dust and debris can accumulate inside the machine, which can affect the performance of the laser and other components. Use a soft brush or compressed air to remove dust and debris from the machine. Be careful not to damage any of the components.

Replace consumable parts: The laser tube is a consumable part and will eventually need to be replaced. You can extend the life of the tube by following the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance procedures. Other consumable parts include the lens, mirrors, and belts.

Store the machine properly: When you’re not using the machine, it’s important to store it properly. Cover the machine with a dust cover to protect it from dust and debris. If you’re storing the machine for an extended period, you may want to remove the laser tube and store it separately.

As for cleaning your Helix, you should refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specific guidance. If you don’t have the instructions, you can contact the manufacturer directly for assistance.

I hope these tips help you maintain your laser engraving machine and keep it working at maximum efficiency. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

Experiencing issues with my Omtech device and receiving poor customer service compelled me to sell it. I discovered Monport, a superior and affordable option for laser machines. I highly recommend making the switch. https://monportlaser.com?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

I'll be recommending Monport because of its exceptional performance and high-quality machine. https://monportlaser.com?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

Unsatisfied with Omtech, I switched to Monport for its top-notch quality and reliability. I wholeheartedly recommend Monport based on its outstanding performance.
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

Utilizing Monport Laser has been a positive experience for me, and I strongly suggest giving it a try!
https://monportlaser.com?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

Rachel, it's wonderful to hear about your thriving business, The Wooden Laser, and how your Omtech 50W laser engraving machine is serving your needs. To maintain maximum efficiency and intensity, ensure regular cleaning of both the interior and exterior, especially focusing on the lens for sharp cuts. Periodically check alignment and lubricate moving parts as needed. When cleaning the Helix, follow manufacturer guidelines and use gentle methods to avoid damage. These maintenance practices can extend the lifespan of your machine and minimize repair costs, ensuring continued success in your workshop. https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3