What laser to choose

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

panosliak

What laser to choose

Post by panosliak »

Greetings to all
I'm so confused.There are so many machines out there.Really hard to choose one knowing its the right decision.What i'm searching for is: a machine that can engrave and cut solid wood (cherry maple,oak,walnut,etc) but also acrylic,leather plastic,paper,and more.The depth of the wood cutting i want to be 10mm.With fine detailed cut.
I prefer a closed type machine.(Not enough space to appartment)
Desktop,with low noise.
I live in Europe Greece.What is your suggestions and advices about the subject? What is the proper machine?
My budget is 5000 euros top
Thanks in advance
hangrex5

Re: What laser to choose

Post by hangrex5 »

it's a jungle out there when it comes to choosing the right laser cutting machine. Your criteria narrow down the field a bit but fear not, I've got some solid suggestions for you. Considering your diverse material needs, the Epilog Zing 16 might be your knight in shining armor. It's a CO2 laser, which means it's excellent for wood, including cherry, maple, oak, and walnut, providing that desired 10mm depth. Moreover, it's a beast with acrylic, leather, plastic, and paper, ensuring you can spread your creative wings across various mediums.

Now, for the closed-type, space-friendly requirement, check out the Boss Laser LS-1416. It's a desktop laser cutter that doesn't compromise on performance. The closed design helps with noise reduction, perfect for apartment living. Plus, it falls well within your budget, making it a practical choice for your creative haven in Greece. The fine detailed cuts you're after? The Boss Laser has got you covered.

Living in Europe might make you think twice about shipping, but fret not; both of these machines have a global presence, and you can easily find them in Greece. Just keep an eye on local distributors to ensure a hassle-free purchase.

Hope this helps you in making the right decision, and happy crafting! If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
panosliak

Post by panosliak »

Hi hangrex5!Thank you so much for your help! Really i appreciate it
Boss LS-1420 CO2 from one hand is a bit boxy and heavy but unbelievable machine,.and from the other Epilog Zing16 goes for 7k
I have a question regarding xTool P2 55W Desktop CO2 Laser Cutter.I read great reviews about it
You think it could also cover my needs?Is it a good option or not?
hangrex5

Post by hangrex5 »

Choosing the right laser involves considering various factors, such as power, wavelength, and intended application. For precise engraving or cutting on materials like wood or acrylic, CO2 lasers are widely used. If your focus is on metal marking, Fiber lasers are exceptional. Diode lasers, known for their compact size, are suitable for smaller tasks.

Additionally, for a comprehensive solution, explore laser marking machines like those offered by Heatsign. These machines provide versatility and efficiency, making them ideal for projects ranging from intricate engravings to industrial-level markings. Assess your specific requirements and budget to ensure that the chosen laser or laser marking machine aligns perfectly with your needs. Feel free to share more details if you need personalized recommendations. Your optimal laser solution awaits!
panosliak

Post by panosliak »

Thank you again for all advices and directions,.but you didn't asnwer to my question
Tell me what you think about xTool P2 55W Desktop CO2 Laser Cutter
If you want of course
Thanks
PaulMott

Post by PaulMott »

In my opinion, the xTool P2 55W CO2 is an excellent machine but you should be aware that the maker’s claims for its performance may be a little (or a lot) over-optimistic and only relate to the absolute perfect conditions.

I have been using CO2 lasers for some 15 – 20 years now and have found that cutting hardwoods of 10mm thickness requires really high pressure air assist together with a low tube operating temperature and I have my doubts that the basic xTool would be up to this task.

Paul.
panosliak

Post by panosliak »

Hello Paul
Thanks for your input to my topic
My main goal is to work with solid wood ,acrylic and leather.
Actually the desired thickness is from 3-7mm max
but better if it can cut 10mm.Means it will cut easier and faster the 3mm or 5 or 6
I'll put it inside my appartment.So the quiter the better,the smaller the better.You understand.
What is your suggestion for such a search? If not the xTool P2 55W CO2 then what is the proper one?
Thanks again
PaulMott

Post by PaulMott »

I think that overall and within your price range you would be hard pressed to find a better enclosed machine than the xTool which you mention.
It would be ideal for cutting Acrylic all day long and the same goes for surface engraving of wood, leather and many other materials but for cutting through Hardwoods and Leather it is a different story.
It is more about the properties of a 55W CO2 laser tube than it is the machine itself. As mentioned earlier you would need high pressure air assist (to clear the kerf of carbon deposits) and possibly a water cooler / chiller to keep the tube temperature low. Dependant on the materials thickness, ‘clean’ cuts through hardwoods are best achieved with a medium power level and ‘multi-pass’, adjusting the focal point between passes. I don’t have any experience of the xTool machine but I have my doubts that the inbuilt ‘air assist’ and closed loop water system would be sufficient to sustain hardwood & leather cutting for more than a few minutes at a time.
There is much to learn my friend and I would make a poor teacher so you really need to do a lot more research (reading the various CNC and laser forums perhaps – the laser section of ‘Sawmill Creek’ would be a good start) before you buy.

Paul
panosliak

Post by panosliak »

Thanks Paul!
Apparently i have to do my homework,.)
Indeed difficult task to choose wisely
Noise is critical since i have a weird neighbour below me
I'll be back when i have news
PaulMott

Post by PaulMott »

One other thing you should consider is that laser working with wood and leather produces quite an unpleasant smell. Whilst it may be OK for the laser user to route their fume extractor hose out of a nearby window this may not go down too well with their neighbours especially if they have to endure smoke, fumes & smell.
HEPA filters can reduce the smell problem considerably but may require more energy to be provided to the standard fume extractor system.

Just a thought.

Paul