INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

KDM

Hi from Midlands UK

Post by KDM »

Hi.

First post. Normally I say "but I've been lurking for ages". Not in this case! I've just been gifted an Atomstack A5 Pro and I need to get up the learning curve sharpish!

Apart from being interested in Electronics, Software, SCUBA Diving, Karate, and Amateur Radio, I'm quite familiar with 3D printing, CAD and CNC.

First thing I notice about this chap is that it really lacks endstop switches! Looking through the air vents in the controller, I see that it has several unused edge connectors. Naturally, I've taken a screwdriver to it and I see that does appear to have endstop switch connectors, an SD card slot, an HDMI connector and it's cored around an ESP32-WROOM, so it has the potential for WiFi and Bluetooth.

...but you knew all that. It doesn't seem to be advertising an SSID or a Bluetooth AP, so I'm guessing these aren't features of my machine.

So, I'm off to read your forum and see if I can implement some of this stuff. Can anyone shortcut me to the "Everything about the Atomstack Controller" section, please? Then I'll be armed to ask you all the stupid questions!!

Thanks for having me here.
koala.grzeg

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post by koala.grzeg »

Hello

First post here but I have almost 15y experience in laser cuting on Leetro LaserCut machines.

But I cant beat rdworks machine...
LaserFileFinder

Just picture myself in underwear...wait that's not how it..sshi

Post by LaserFileFinder »

Hi Everyone,

Roughly a few months into the world of laser engraving. One day I found a really good deal on a xTool D1 Pro set and just went for it.

Fast forward to now, it's been a fun hobby that perhaps one day I'll have enough bandwidth to convert into a business. Until then, I've been enjoying the learning curve that comes with the experience.

Frustrated by bouncing around multiple sites looking for free laser files and tools, I created a website called LaserFileFinder.com which finds free laser files & designs from various places on the internet. You just type in a keyword or phrase and it will search across various sites and bring you the closest results.

There's also two other pages; A "Free Tools" page filled with commonly used tools, and a projects page which will one day become more than just one post. :lol:

Looking forward to learning more and continuing to help others learn as well.
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Hi All,

I am a goldsmith for over 36 years and have recently started laser engraving as part of our service.

We use an 80w JPT mopa which we are very happy with, although maybe didn’t need the overkill of 80w.

I also do a lot of engraving of alternative metals for https://www.titanjewellery.co.uk

I found the forum as I have been asked to engrave inside a Superconductor ring. I can get a nice black on copper, and a nice black on titanium. But what works on one looks awful on the other as speed and power are so far apart.

I will be researching the group for any info on how to achieve this black across both metals.
Rogers954

Post by Rogers954 »

Hello everyone, name is Mike and I am very new to the laser game and this morning I pulled the trigger on a new xtool S1. I was going to wait to upgrade from my little sculpfun s6 pro that I ordered a long time ago and just barely started messing with, until last night when I found a vid where the person mentioned xtool’s amazing trade in program going on right now. I feel like I must be blind because in the last three weeks I’ve been on their product page multiple times and completely missed this incentive program. After the trade in credit and the sale on everything I went ahead and opted to get their full all-in-one kit that comes with the riser base, rotary, and conveyor so I can really have unlimited options on the projects/products i can create. Looking forward to meeting others in this community and learning a lot. Hope everyone is having a great weekend :D
H-D

Post by H-D »

Hello all. H-D here. I’m right now in the middle of educating myself on Fiber lasers and found this board. I’ve traditionally been hand stamping on 416 stainless but want to step up my game, and perhaps expand my offerings. So that’s why I’ve began looking into purchasing a laser. Mainly looking at a 50W split fiber and I’ve seen prices on machines from $3000-$16,000. So that alone is confusing when I compare specs and both are a 50W Raycus. So my first endeavor is to identify what makes a good machine. Thanks all if anyone wants to make suggestions, I’m all ears.
Thanks H-D
eaglea1

Post by eaglea1 »

Hello all, another newbie here.
Just starting out on my new laser adventure. I haven't purchased a laser yet, but I will be getting the xTool S1 Rotary package as soon'
as I return home from vacation. I'm a 71 year old electronics retired old dude that has way too many hobbies already (according to the boss).
I currently have a Shapeoko engraving mill that I use VCarve Pro software with for my side hustles. I make signs, cribbage boards, etc. I'm also a
game call maker in that I make turkey calls, deer grunt calls, duck calls, predator calls and so on. Getting the laser will greatly add to my
ability to enhance all those things and maybe add more. I found this forum and hope to learn from everyone. Thanks for letting me join.
Randy
chrisprice

Post by chrisprice »

Good afternoon (It's 12.40 here in London England)
I am a 70 year old newbie to laser engraving.
I have bought what I suspect is an entry level laser engraver, nonetheless I am impressed by it.
It is an Xtool D1 pro 10 watt. It is well made and comes with free software and appears to have a reasonable technical support.

I have done little with it but fiddle a bit. Did a nice Eagle and have built an enclosure for it complete with exhaust fan (a bathroom fan venting out the side of my workshop). And NOW I find I need air assist (currently looking at aquarium pumps as the Xtool air assist pump is shamelessly expensive).

So that's where I am. the Missus keeps asking what I will do with it and am I going to sell stuff? I'm not sure as the idea is that it's one more thing to keep me in my workshop and not under her feet.

Anyway, that's me, thanks for letting me in.
Chris
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2886.jpg (242.69 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
T.eddie

Post by T.eddie »

Hi all,

New to the forum and to laser engraving and looking to join somewhere that will enable me to ask questions and get advice / share best practice

I'm not sure if I can ask a question in my introduction so will have a look about the forum first

Based in the UK and have only just started
DFinch516

Post by DFinch516 »

Hello everyone,
I'm from Portland, OR, USA. I would like to upgrade from a diode machine to fiber laser to mark forged knives and sheaths. Interested in creating challenge coins and engraving other metal objects. I'm fairly new and need to learn and willing to share.