Laser cutting eva foam

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Thosikbuh

Laser cutting eva foam

Post by Thosikbuh »

Would it be possible to laser cut a depth in eva foam without too much heat being generated?
So if you had a 20mm thick peice of foam, you could cut squares out to a depth of 16mm, (say 60x25mm) or would you have to really cut out that shape from a 16mm peice of foam.

Would lasering a area 60x25mm be a problem?

Cheers
Triumphlaser Support

Re: Laser cutting eva foam

Post by Triumphlaser Support »

Hello sir

Our laser machine can cut 50mm EVA foam .
EVA foam cutting , need big air pump to cool down the tempretuer , also , if you set 20*20mm square on software , after cutting , it will be little less than 20mm , so you need add a little size one 20mm , so that after cutting , it could be 20*20mm
support@triumphlaser.com
Thosikbuh

Post by Thosikbuh »

You will have a lot of trouble trying to regulate the cut depth due to non uniformity in the material. It will need to be cut through for best results.

EVA foam is much more difficult to cut as the thickness increases, 20mm will require around 100W for clean single pass cutting. It can be cut with much less power but the edges/corners will melt due to the slower speeds required.

This may not be a problem depending on the application, in fact the results may be desirable (rounded edges occur on the top surface only).

The size is no problem.
Thosikbuh

Post by Thosikbuh »

Kinda makes life a bit difficult.
I've got wall ventilation for it today, so I should get set up this afternoon.
I've got some 10mm eva so I'll give that a bash.

(I also got me a abc fire extinguisher).