80W not cutting 1/4 plywood

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Coopj

80W not cutting 1/4 plywood

Post by Coopj »

I have aligned the mirrors, made sure the mirrors and lens are clean, checked my focal distance (the lines are super crisp and there is not even a little bit of charring). I’ve tried my settings all the way to 85power, 3speed and even with 10 passes it hasn’t cut all the way through my 1/4inch Baltic birch. Any suggestions?

LC1390N(G Weike) 80W
Emitlaser

Re: 80W not cutting 1/4 plywood

Post by Emitlaser »

I have asked this question to the professional technician of Emitlaser. He told me to fist check whether there is any deviation in the optical path, if all is normal, the power of 80 watts is too small. Because the plywood is more difficult to cut, it is recommended to choose high power, 130 watts or 150 watts.
LINUS
Webmaster

Post by LINUS »

Coopj wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:34 am I have aligned the mirrors, made sure the mirrors and lens are clean, checked my focal distance (the lines are super crisp and there is not even a little bit of charring). I’ve tried my settings all the way to 85power, 3speed and even with 10 passes it hasn’t cut all the way through my 1/4inch Baltic birch. Any suggestions?

LC1390N(G Weike) 80W
You need strong air assist
Because of major,be at ease so.
djmartins

Post by djmartins »

Coopj wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:34 am
I've cut through 1/4" plywood with a K40.
The type of glue and number of layers can make a huge difference.
I strongly suggest you try some other plywood and test which ones work best.
Less layers means less glue to cut through.....
eeze

Post by eeze »

hi, have you checked that your mirrors are not damaged, the easy way to check is to continuously cut for about 10 min then switch of the laser and touch the mirror mounts with your hand and feel for heat transfer, if the mounts are getting hot that means that that mirror is no longer reflecting properly and is absorbing the laser beam. also you say that your focal length is correct 1/4 inch stock is about 6mm if you have set Z height on surface of stock that is only good for engraving.to cut 6mm stock you should set Z height minus 3mm so that it focuses the beam in the middle of the stock, that is the only way to cut thick stock do not set focal point on surface but half way through the stock to be cut. also high power is not the answer i cut 5mm mdf at 8ma 5mm per second with good air assist very cleanly in 2 passes on a k40.